Blog Background

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Out of frustration and necessity, I have posted a rather lengthy list of table manners beside the table. So which ones should I leave out, or add - which ones are most important you you?
1.) Prayer
2.) Napkin on lap (a toughie)
3.) Chew with mouth closed
4.) Try at least one bite of everything
5.) Do not interrupt each other - take turns talking & listening
6.) burps & fluffs - keep to a minimum
7.) NO NOT answer phone/check caller ID during dinner
8.) Sit at the table until the last person is finished eating, or ask to be excused
9.) Take plate to the sink
10.) Thank the cook
11.) Do kitchen job.
Am I a crazed mother or what?
Had a funny call yesterday- talked to a woman who wanted to me to advertise in the ward what she has for sale. She needs to make money. One abdominizer, a used baby mattress, a jogging stroller, and a roaster for meats. I gave her the number for our local paper's classified ads. So here we go!
Also I'm not going to my hairstylist anymore - there is a nail person there who is in touch with the next world, I sat with her and listened while she told me some really real things about my life & loved ones who have died, but not from the right source. I really won't do that again, and in order to avoid that situation, I won't go there again, which is sad because I like my sylist a lot! We live and learn! Tomorrow a buch of women are coming over and we are starting a "make-ahead freezer meal" group - 30 people signed up, so we're breaking up into 5 groups. I hope I get a lot of good cooks in my group!

7 comments:

Maude said...

Wow, you're right - - -here you go! I'm impressed! The freezer meal ideal sounds fun. Especially good for busy and/or working Moms. Be sure and share the good recipes, okay?

Your list of "rules" sounds pretty reasonable - - -and common sense. I guess it's good you gave the teenagers an "out" for when they have activities - -i.e., they can excuse themselves if need be. Your kids are pretty great at table manners and doing their chores, as I remember. :) Keep it all positive!

Your decision about the hair stylist is kind of like that poem I shared with you, I guess. You have to be comfortable, and I'm sure you'll find another great person - - -maybe even closer to home! Love you, my busy, energetic daughter!

Anonymous said...

Hey Melecia...slow down my friend. We don't want you to be translated...we'd all be sad and jealous and miss you!!!
Share the freezer meal recipes, I think that's a great idea for those nights when things are hectic and it's better than eating out!
I love your lists of rules. I'm taking a Love and Logic parenting class and they have some great ideas.
Good luck with all those that think it's the Bishops job to help them sell things!!!

Paul and Joni said...

reading that list wore me out, I think I do one or two of those things...at best

Anonymous said...

That's good advice Jen - I do need to slow down! Actually before I read your blogs, I took down the list and put it away.
Love,
Melecia

Joel said...

Joel's dining/cooking rules (living alone): Make sure the TV is up loud before turning on the microwave or boiling something, don't boil or fry anything without getting dressed first, don't bother with the belching or "fluffing" cause nobody's around to appreciate it anyway, lean back on the couch so if you spill food it will be less likely to make it to the floor (have to clean that up), I won't go into my eating/bathroom rules, thats all I have for now.

Anonymous said...

I have never heard a person that runs into stranger people then you Melecia! They must see that nice/welcoming smile on your face and think, she looks like she will listen to the voices in my head talk to her. WOW!
You have super good kids!
I think you are just at the beginning of what people are going to expect out of Rhett. Some people just don't ever get it. I sure am glad that I don't have to take those messages though!
I wish I was there to do those dinners with you. Sounds like a good idea!

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

How did the cooking thing go? Did you come up with some great things to eat? I think that is such a great idea.

I think that is so tacky that that woman called to ask you to advertise those items for you. You handled it perfectly. You really do know what to do.

Can't you stick with your hairstylist and avoid the "devil" lady? You do run into some pretty crazy people. You are just so nice and kindhearted.

Your rules are great, although I think Joel's might go over better with the family!! You gotta try--sometimes it works and sometimes they just look at you like you are crazy, right??

Love you,
Susan