We sat the kids down last night to tell everyone about dad's new calling as Bishop - it will be official in church today. Cecily is getting her molars in, and has been crying all day - she didn't stop. Becca was twirling around on the floor on her head, and Livi was sitting on Rhett's lap with a funny incredulous look on her face. About how we pictured it when we told them the news! After Rhett told them, he asked the kids if they know what a bishop does. Livi says "Are you going to be the guy that says 'And now lets open our hymn books to page 519 and sing this song?" Rhett said "Yes, that and some other things."
He said "Becca, what does a bishop do?" Becca continued to twirl around on her head and said "He shakes people's hands and then he takes their money."
Madison teen-age lamintation "People think I'm wierd & pefect enough. Now we'll get to add 'bishop's daughter' to it. "
Rhett "Any questions for me?" Garrett serious as a journalist. "What things are you going to do around the home to raise our standards?"
Rhett "Um, what would you like me to do Garrett?"
Garrett, "Well, you know, things like how me act on the sabbath day and stuff like that."
Madison, (HUGE GROAN)
The stake president mentioned that people will look to us as a model couple/family, and I'm glad they will because they will see an imperfect/flawed, but happy family who is a little crazy but just trying their best. I'm praying for an open heart and lots of love - big dose of the spirit today. It's going to be a good day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
good luck guys, those are some funny comments. I feel for Madison because we always made fun of the bishop's kids for being perfect more than we should have.
Wow - - - that scene with the kids was priceless. Thanks for sharing. Becca is a hoot, and Garrett remained true to form with his comments. What a guy! I wonder if he'll ever understand Madison's perspective? We're thinking of you, and are confident you'll ALL do well with the new calling. Remember our little talk. :)
That's hilarious! It's crazy how each of your kids has turned out with usch a different personality from one another. I like Becca's comment the best, "Shake hands and take the money." Garret is quite the kid too. Kids say the funniest things.
Tell Rhett not to work too hard. Sometimes I worry about our bishop. I was talking to his Executive Secretary a few days ago and we both agreed that he spends too much time in his calling. He tries to go to every youth activities, all his Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays are completely full and he has interviews on other days as well. He is a wonderful man, but you can see on his face and in his voice that he's completely worn out. It's been three years now.
When I played the Executive Secretary roll, it became an almost protective roll for me to make sure the Bishop and his family did not have to deal with…well… things they shouldn’t have to deal with. He was really a loving Bishop but told me he had to train himself to draw the line and use his counselors and supporting members like he needed to, and not get trapped into feeling obligated to drop his own life for every phone call. I also had to get myself into that protective mode by saying things like: “He can meet with you Sunday at this time or Tuesday night at this one.”, “No he doesn’t do other nights.”, “I understand that you are busy… but so is he.”, “No, the Bishop prefers not to be called at home for these things.” I was hard for me, being a “Sure I’ll help!” type of guy, to not feel guilty, but I saw the need as I progressed. I see my Clerk role as somewhat similar. If I can take any of the paper, supplies, tithing, records, whatever load off the Bishop then I do. If I am feeling the “load” myself I have assistant Clerks for that.
I believe Rhett will be great and he probably realizes most or all of this, but it is not the responsibility of the Bishop to do everything. Delegation is key.
All the best.
Good luck!
Thanks for the description of the kids...it felt like I was there watching. Too funny!
You can always send Madison to live with us!!!
Good luck, we're praying for you.
It was a joy to talk to you about all this today, my dear. I love the kid's comments. What a family! You are, indeed, as good as gold. Love, Dad
You guys are going to do great! We have all the confidence in the world in your family, but more importantly, the Lord believes in you!!
The kids comments were funny. Very true to form. They are awesome kids. I love that you don't feel the need to come off as a perfect family. The ward really needs to see you as you are, just like the rest of them working hard and being normal, happy, and having fun!
Love you,
Susan
Post a Comment