Blog Background

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

our own part to play

bloggers from Pluto
Deep thoughts in the morning: Madison and her friend Kasey are trying out for the spring musical today - it's "Meet Me In St. Louis" They are tring out for different parts but wanted to sing the same song "On my own" from Les Miserables. We were working on the song together, and both girls were trying to nicely get the other one to sing something else so they wouldn't sing the same song back to back. Honestly - for Madison the song was too low - not in her range, and it was too "big" a song for Kasey. We looked some more in the Broadway book and the girls were getting discouraged. Casey is almost six feet, spunky and athletic with strawberry blonde hair - she tried "Wouldn't it be Loverly" from My Fair Lady, and had the cockney accent perfectly. The song was fast, and her voice fit perfectly into the style and range. Once she started singing it, she felt like it was her "fit". It a string of tryouts that might be very similiar, Kasey is going to make someone smile, look up, pause, and think about her. She is trying out for the Irish Maid, so that song will fit her also. Madison has never tried out for a musical, so she will be happy to be a "trolley person", but has been singing the songs from "Phantom" for a long time. She sounded beautiful of "Wishing you were Somehow Here Again." It turned out all the worry over singing the same song worked itself out because both girls chose the songs that were right for them, their personalities, and their voices.
This kind of coordinates with thoughts I've been having about Heavenly Father, and the Gospel, and how their is room for everyone - how God must love all the different personality types - different as they are, and how everyone has a part to play in His grand plan. I also watched "Lady in the Water" the other night and it was a lot deeper than I expected. If you haven't seen it, it's a good one! I loved how everyone in this appartment complex was drawn to live there in this grand plan to help a sea nymph return to her people. One was the healer, one the guardian, the intepreter, the guild, and that each had a different part to play in the grand design. They didn't realize what their part was until the moment came/the crisis came, and they were all asked to play their part and discover what it was that they were supposed to do. It might sound strange if you haven't seen the movie, but it added to these things I've been thinking about! Realizing our parts - sometimes the answer is right under our noses - sometimes it takes some searching!
Have a wonderful day!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck in the tryouts. You made some excellent observations about both girls. Being in musicals has been Hannah's most favorite thing to do. She is currently trying out for the lead in "Annie." She's a darling drama queen. We'll be anxious to hear how it goes. Let us know. Love, Dad

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

I liked what you said about playing our own parts and how Heavenly Father has room for us all. Isn't that the truth??! Thank heavens for that. Wish Madison best of luck, or should I say "break a leg".

love,
Susan

Anonymous said...

Good for Madison! I hope it goes well. Thanks for the thoughts, also. I have a saying over my desk in Ashton, by Spencer W. Kimball about that idea - - -Each of us has a song to sing; let us not leave this world with our song unsung and our music hidden within us. I truly believe that, although I haven't seen the movie you mentioned. (Surprised?) :) Wouldn't it be a dull world if we were all cut from the identical mold? Heavenly Father's wise!

Anonymous said...

That was a very nice post. I am glad that things worked out on the song for M and her girlfriend. She sounds like she has some really good friends there.
I also haven't seen the movie, I'll try to rent it.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I got the wrong idea but I thought that was really funny. I about peed my pants when you were so insightful and serious and then said it reminded you of "Lady in the Water". I guess I would have to see it first but it was pretty funny thinking about what you said if the movie didn't exist. I wish there were sea people in the great plan of things. Good luck Madison.

Melecia said...

I realized that the sea people was a pretty funny/wierd part of the blog after I posted it. I do tend to have some wierd and serious thoughts - so don't let me get too serious, kay?