Blog Background

Saturday, July 05, 2008

4th of July Thoughts

This past week I've been sick - something that rarely happens to me with my healthy constitution. It was the can't lift your head off the pillow sick - the leave the cleaning supplies in the bathroom because you'll need them again in three minutes sick! I don't want to milk the sympathy card here - just to tell you that these kids really, really helped out! I rented "John Adams" from Netflix, and it came in three dvds - a seven part miniseries, so I watched most of that while I was sick. I really enjoyed it, and for me it really opened up my eyes and expanded my knowledge about this great founding father, and I could relate to the feelings of John and Abigail, who were separated so much even though they had a great love, and how their letters got them through. I look forward to reading their letters next!
We had great plans for the fourth - great plans for the week, and those plans changed, but not for the worse. Madison got up and dressed up in red, white and blue and asked everyone to do the same. Looking very patriotic, Madison drove the four oldest to the church pancake breakfast (in the van), then to a festival at George Washington's boyhood home, and then to the movie "Wal-e". I watched Nadal win in the semi finals watching Cecily play with blocks and duplos, singing to herself. It kills me to not be able to get up when I'm sick and help my children. It is hard to hear that they are bored, sad, tired, sick of being inside, etc. I wish every minute of their day could be filled with laughing and happiness, but I guess that is not realistic, and it doesn't help them be better people in the long run. I couldn't fold the clothes when I was sick to they had made quite a pile on the bedroom floor - I asked everyone to come up and help fold, and they did. The socks also had piled up. I said I'd give anyone a dime a pair, and they got them folded up really quick. Each child rearned about $1.50! I had no idea we'd let the socks go for so long. Our ward is great about helping out, and I have some friends I can call and I know they will be at our door at a moment's notice, but yesterday seemed very quiet. One thing I love about our neigborhood is the amount of illegal fireworks smuggled into our subdivision. You only have to sit on your lawn and get the same fireworks (although less concentrated) than the ones in town. We lit our little ones we got at the stand, like the screaming bee, the cactus, the snakes. Our kids were totally petrified of sparklers - what's up with that? I loved sitting on the lawn and watching it all, and watching our kids watch it all.
My good friend Sachiko was just diagnosed with lung cancer - we are having a ward fast for her tomorrow. She has been through so much adversity, and this just seems almost too much to bear. I asked her what I can do and after saying "pray, pray, pray", she just said "be positive, always be positive... that is the only way to heal.

7 comments:

Jen Jarrett said...

Oh! I wish I were out there! I would nanny for you! Watch your kids while you were sick! I am very sad to hear about Sister Zink. I would love to fast also tomorrow with all of you. Id there is anything I can do, please let me know! My prayers are with all of you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen! We wish you were here too! I'm so glad you'll be fasting with the ward tomorrow. It feels good to be doing that all together for her! Thank you Jen! We got Morgan's announcement - we are SO happy for her and her cowboy! They look like the perfect match!

Paul and Joni said...

sorry to hear about that. I was really wanting to watch that series about John Adams, I saw a couple of episodes but never got around to watching it all...maybe I'll have to do it now. Keep your chin up (when its not in the toilet), it will all be over soon.

Maude said...

I've been worried about you, girl, and am so glad you have some news about your health - - -especially that it is something very manageable, and that can explain some other concerns you've had. We're all praying you'll soon be on top of it - - -and the world - -again.

I'm also VERY proud of you and your great children. You ALL deserve a big fat gold medal for the last couple weeks. Madison, Garrett, Livi, Becca, and Cecily - -Hurrah for you all. You have a great Mom and Dad and your actions of the last while don't surprise us, but are a credit to them and make us more proud of you than ever!

Hang in there. You'll all be together for that long-awaited vacation very soon!

Love you.

Mom

Moore Family said...

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well Melecia. That's no fun at all. Glad to hear that your kids and friends are being helpful.

I watched that Nadal semi final match too. I was impressed with how good he is.

Glen

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

That was a touching blog, Melecia. As we have been talking, you are doing well. The adversity has certainly strengthened your family. We fasted for you yesterday and felt you are in the Lord's hands. It couldn't be better than that! I'm glad you decided to get the John Adams videos. I enjoyed every one of the series and have such a keener understanding of the men behind the framing of our constitution. John Adam's story brings out the importance of a good intelligent wife helping her husband with the weightier decisions affecting this great country of ours. The family always should come first.

I forgot to record the Wimbelton finals, but one of my racquetball partners gave me a blow by blow description of the best final match ever. Way to go Nadal!

We'll be thinking of you as Rhett will be returning home in TWO DAYS for some much needed vacation time.

Love, Dad

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Melecia:

I'm so sorry you have been so sick! You really do have wonderful children and that is so great that they all dressed up in red, white, and blue and got into all the patriotic things of the day! That is impressive!

I am so sorry about your friend, Sachiko. That is very sad news. We will pray for her too! Keeping a positive attitude really makes a difference, but sometimes that is a really hard thing to do. I'm sure you will be a great support to her. Please give her our love!

Enjoy Rhett and every minute of his time there. Your vacation sounds fun. Don't over do and let your family continue to take care of you until you are completely well.

xo,
Susan