Blog Background

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Nauvoo and the stinky cheese van

Cousins at the pumpkin patch! Trent & Sandy have five children, we have our five, and cousin
Lukas (front row right) is Samantha's son.


Watching the Nauvoo Halloween Parade. It lasted exactly five minutes!



The Willard Richards Inn. This is the original home of the apostle, and the location where Joseph and Hyrum's bodies were cleaned and prepared after their deaths. It was also the
place where the twelve held meetings. The original wine cellar in the basement (build after
the Saints left Nauvoo) has an original piece of the sunstone from the Nauvoo temple.


This is an exciting and beautiful temple to visit. It is exciting because it was built to exactness
like the original. It towers over the small town of Nauvoo and is a beacon over the Mississippi river.


This past weekend we drove 15 hours each way for a 24 hour family reunion in Nauvoo! Since the last reunion ended up with a family member in prison, we had low expectations coming into it. Our kids crammed into the van and I realized that Garrett is a very large person with long legs and huge feet that like to reach up from the back seat and tickle the people in the front seat!
We were saved by the laptop with movies. We drove through five states to get to Illinois. Becca said "Are we in Illannoyed yet?" Yep - that about summed it up for all of us! Madison drove for a while while Rhett yelled up corrections on her driving from the far back seat until Madison was in tears, and I was yelling at Rhett. On the way home, everyone had gas as a result of the chili cookoff we had eaten the day before. At first it was "Okay...that was just nasty...who did that.... WHO was that?... somebody better own up...." then after several hours, when a "fluff" would go off, we opened the windows in unison and quietly waited for the chilly wind to fumigate the van, not saying a word.




On a higher plane of thought, the Willard Richard's Inn, that Rhett's brother Trent owned until a few weeks ago, was beautiful, and we had the entire Inn rented to our family for the weekend. We could come and go as we wanted, and the families with children stayed at a nearby home that allowed children. Rhett's three sisters, two of his brothers, his mother, dad and his dad's wife Betty stayed at the Inn. It was really good to sit and talk, to tour beautiful Nauvoo, and to take the cousins to the pumpkin patch. I can't think of anyplace in the United States where you can learn so much about life in the 1840s where kind senior missionaries bring that era and it's history to life. Our kids were really thrilled with the whole "hands-on pioneer experience. Rhett and his mother went through the temple together, and she enjoyed having some time with him before his deployment. I joked with Rhett's sisters from California, who came dressed to the nines in their winter designer clothes, shoes, and sunglasses. They looked beautiful, but were WAY overdressed for Nauvoo. I think that no matter how fragmented a family becomes, in this case because of divorce, there is still so much love and common ground to be found.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This trip to Nauvoo was very hectic. I loved your honest description of the family tensions in the mini-van. The family has grown up a lot this year. Olivia looks very stylish, and Becca looks cute with her glasses. What handsome wonderful children! Love, Dad

Paul and Joni said...

I didn't know you could stay in that inn, or that Trent owned it. Thats pretty cool, ya'll look so happy in the pictures. Glad I missed the fluff a thon in the car. I remember Warren, Joel and I literally took turns every minute launching some good ones while poor mom was in the room with us. She was giggling though which made us all laugh every time it happened. I don't think flatulance will ever not be funny

Maude said...

What a trip - - sounds like several "marathons" along the way. Road trips of that length X 5 children are a huge challenge, but it sounds like it was worth it in the end. The photos of all the cousins were really great - - -they look happy. I love Cecily studying her little pumpkin and oblivious to the world around her. Becca and Olivia, your costumes look awesome!

Nauvoo is truly one of my favorite places. I hope to go back now the Temple is completed.

Anonymous said...

You are the bravest family I know to make so many cross country trips!!
Your description of family time in a mini van is priceless!!
Sounds like you had a great time in a beautiful place!

Anonymous said...

Your account of the trip in the van brings back some awful/awesome memories from our family trips. Too fun!
I love the customes, especially Becaa's. I just want to squeeze her in those pictures. I really haven't met a kid that makes me laugh harder then she does.
How cool for Rhett to spend time with his family before he leaves and I think it is so great that his parents can get together like that. Sounds like a great trip!