Blog Background

Thursday, October 04, 2007

I'm thinking about this phase we are in life right now - how much fun it is, and that maybe we're a little older than we feel. Rhett, Cecily, and I went to the Pentagon yesterday for a briefing called "Hearts Apart", where we met with a counselor who helps the deployed military member and the spouse during the time apart. He was a kind, humorous man with a bald head (Do we know any other counselors like this?) . He asked me questions that I hadn't thought about before, and we went through a check list of things Rhett and I need to talk about and do before he leaves. We've been doing some preparation, but obviously not near enough. Gary (the counselor) will call/e-mail once a month to check on me, and let me know about all of the services avaiable through the military - like 30 minutes a week in free phone calls, free oil changes on base, free childcare, etc. He said "Do you know where your husband wants to be buried in case something happens to him? Have you updated your wills? Do you have all your husband's computer passwords? Do you know how to winterize your home? Do you know where all the shut-off valves are in your home? Who does the finanaces? Are you going to have separate accounts during your separation? Do you have power of attorney?" These questions were over the two hour period we talked. He offered lots of help and suggestions. So now all of a sudden, I have been snapped out of "la la" land and into the land of "Oh my gosh - we have like three weeks! Teach me everything you know!" I brought home a stack of books about ideas to keep your love alive during deployments and ways to help the kids. I laughed out loud during the book of ideas - Like "Eat together over the phone once a week... Watch the clouds together and talk about what you are seeing... decide you are going to meet in your dreams tonight - whether on the beach, wherever... Wear the same outfit on the sameday .Make a color copy of your face for your husband's pillow case." I thnk a Mormon wrote it - the same one who wrote the book about how to ask for /answer dates at BYU. Anyway, there were some good ideas too - do you have any?
I'm also totally in teen land. I have become one of those mothers who shop at Costco and Sams, who buys six gallons of milk for the fridge in the garage and hopes it will last the week, who packs two of everything in my son's lunch - and he's still hungry. I hear a lot "I hate my life" or
"I'm so tired". I also hear a lot of funny stories. Madison made some new friends in her drama class - one a large white rapper named "Stack Money". He likes Madison, so he wrote a rap about her, and ricknamed her "baby M". Now a group of black rappers see her in the hall and say "Yo Baby M, what's up with our boy Stack Money? You gonna give him your number or what? " She is not interested, which I'm happy about, but every night around the dinner table we hear about different people, and Becca calmly says, "So... how is Stack Money today?"
Rhett and I joke, so if things don't work out with Patrick, Stack Money is always around.
On the totally opposite side of "teen land" are the "three littles" . I need to remember that it's all new to Cecily, who loves to go to the library, watch Caillou, and have mom enjoy these activities as if it were my first time seeing them too! It is all mostly humorous.
I took a break from cleaning to write this, and I am also going through a phase about needing to listen to country music while I'm cleaning. Something about being a down home girl from a small country town wants me to scrub the bathrub harder, I guess. I just think I'm really wierd. I'll send more pictures of France soon!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So... How is Stack Money? Only Becca! She'll help liven things up a bit while Rhett is gone. Laughter is good medicine.

Talk about a dose of reality. I guess it's best to be as prepared as possible. Still, you probably don't want to be reminded of that all the time. I'm not sure I would. Will you have video conferencing when Rhett is away?

Paul and Joni said...

Oh my gosh, you had me rolling there. I can picture you laughing at all those relationship books. And Stack Money? I wish I could watch some of your dinner conversations with your kids, they are the funniest.

I hope everything goes well with Rhett gone. Just stay busy, I can't even imagine how it must feel, I am already getting a "heavy heart" feeling realizing that I'll probably live away from Joni for 3 months. I'll have to call you for some advice.

Maude said...

Wow! I'm so glad there is that support there for you, Melecia - - and some very practical help to get everything in order. I know we don't like to think/talk about some of those things, and hopefully none of them are needed, but they ARE things you need to know - - -and will empower you to do the things that need to be done. I was thinking about the "winterizing" thing just the other day, when Jim did his annual neighborhood tour with his compressor, blowing out everyone's sprinkler systems.

Ways to keep that love alive are also important. Some good ideas there, even though some may sound silly now. I'm glad Rhett is getting the additions on the computer so you and the family can "chat" with him frequently. Him staying actively involved as "Dad," will be especially important and will give you lots of support. We're all part of your support group, too, so count on us - - -and call us!

Becca is indeed priceless. She tunes into every conversation and gleans more than we think she does. What a character? She keeps things real, for sure.

Love you, love all those wonderful children. Have a great conference weekend.

Always,

Mom

Anonymous said...

I've decided we need a little bit more diversity in Idaho. We don't have any "Stack Money" here!! Although it would be very entertaining!! I'm sure that would be who Meggy wanted to be friends with!!

I'm amazed at how well you are handling this assignment. I think I would be a basket case and probably in a padded cell somewhere! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...please know that we're all here to support and to listen...we'll do all we can.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melecia: We're back from a trip to Utah and got your blog today. I guess the thing that comes to my mind the most is to have a sister-type relationship while Rhett is gone with someone you enjoy and helps you laugh. Another idea that seems important to me is having someone to come into your home to take care of some of your least favorite chores, such as cleaning floors, toilets, laundry, or whatever. Does the Air Force make provision for in-house help for families where the husband is deployed? Being able to concentrate on the children and have fun, even relaxed time with them, is very important. We look forward to coming out for a couple of trips to be helpful. You are surely loved and will get whatever support you need. Dad