Blog Background

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Confederates in the Attic

Our book group just finished reading "Confederates in the Attic" by Tony Horowitz, the pulitzer prize winning journalist - a non-fiction about the Civil War and how it is still being "fought" in the modern-day South. Part of the book has the author doing a whirlwind tour of the civil war sights. It's really funny, and the author tours with a hardcore confederate re-enactor who calls the back in time rush you get while touring the "civil wargasm."
The ladies in our book group kind of got inspired by the idea of a ladies tour of the civil war sights(we'll call it somthing else)-as many as we can do in two days and camping one night. One woman has a 15 passanger van, and another is starting to collect journal entries to read at each sight that we visit. We are even going to follow the sights in chronological order, starting at Harper's Ferry, then Manassas/Bull Run, Anteidem, maybe Gettsburg,Fredericksburg, Chancellor, Wilderness, Stonewall Jackson's & Lee's retreat, and then we'll end up at some restaurant /outlet mall and pig out on chocolate. This book group has a sense of adventure, and our husbands are supportive -if it's just two days, so we're going to plan it next month. I'm really looking forward to it, and am reading up some more on the Civil War. Anybody want to come out for it? We played doubles tennis this morning with some of the ladies from this same group. One player was really good, and I got caught at the net while she was just whaling the balls at me - I stood my ground, so now I have the nickname "Stonewall
Jefferies" - I like it!

4 comments:

Maude said...

What a fun group - -and what a fun trip! I wanna' go! Sounds like my kind of thing, for sure! (You've been with me for an entire day at Mt. Vernon, so you know how I get into history!)

The group truly sounds neat - - lots of sharing and friendship and fun. I'm really happy you're being blessed with something like that in your busy, responsible life, Melecia. What a great way to "replenish." Love you lots.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great group! I would love to do that kind of trip...maybe maude and I can roadtrip!!!
I'm glad you've got a good support group and some good friends and a good supportive husband!
Have a happy day!
Love you

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun group of people. It's always good to be around people that are fun and have good ideas and are up for adventure.
Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I' d like to write like this too - taking time and real effort to make a good article... but what can I say... I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.