On Saturday, the young women went on a hike before Girl's Camp. I (Livi) am not 12 yet, so I had to go with my mom. Girl's Camp also starts at the end of June, so I will also not be going to camp either. Anyway, our hike was 8 miles long up a huge mountain in Virginia called Old Rag. Everyone was all packed up with CameBaks and hiking stuff. I was listening to Brother Richardson's rules when Dad comes in and said all I needed was lots of water, good shoes, pancho, and trail mix. I probably had the lightest backpack there which was good...I guess. We had to hike up the mountain in a wooded area, then we stopped at a huge, flat rock in the middle of the moutain to eat lunch. We sang camp songs and played different games to keep us from stopping and being bored. The only problem was...going to the bathroom and...Poison Ivy! Centipedes and fuzzy bugs were everywhere!!!! After lunch, we kept on going and I heard there was a rock scramble up ahead. It was more like a boulder scramble with holes and gaps between rocks that you had to jump over and use a friend to boost you up. My friend thought it was like Aragon's quest in Lord of the Rings. We all of a sudden had the song stuck in our head and chose the characters and acted like them. At one time, the rocks were so steep that we had to use a rope to climb up it. Kristen, our YCL said, "Use your arm strength." I thought my leg was going to fall that I let her pull me up. I said thanks but there was still more to climb. Once we got to the summit, it was really windy and everyone was screaming, "We made it!" It was cool when a rain cloud passed by us and then went away. The YW said that the downhill part was where the most accidents were. We couldn't really stop ourselves and my feet were killing me. Of course, the CamelBak just has to run out of water and I have to wait until we get to the stream to fill it up. We had a water fight and then finally they said we only have one mile left. Once everyone got to the end of the path, we all jumped up in the air. It's over.
I'm so strong! I'll stay behind and you go!
IT'S OVER!

The Summit view.
6 comments:
Good for you, Livi! Congratulations on making it to the summit - - and thanks for the super write-up. Your details helped me really "see" what you were doing. Love the photos; the one of you and your Mom at the beginning is WAY cute. I'm sure this is just the first of many fun summer adventures and escapades!
Love you lots. Will look forward to reading more "Livi Reports!"
Always,
Gram
Livi that picture of you holding up the rock is hilarious. Thanks for the story of your adventure.
Livi, you are so strong. I had no idea! Good job making it to the top and also good job writing about it. I'm glad your mom got to go with you.
Have a fun summer! See you in August.
Love,
Nanni Sue
Sounds like you have a nice little trip. That's cool that you could go with the 12 year old girls. I'm glad you didn't get smooshed.
Glen
Livi, I want to go hiking with YOU! Sounds like you made the whole trip pretty fun for everyone.
Joni
I like that picture of you with your Mom, Livi. You must really be getting strong to hold that rock up. WOW is all I can say.
Love, Papa
Post a Comment