Blog Background

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Kudos to Madison & Garrett!

Senior year is almost over....tomorrow in fact! Madison was "auctioned" off to a friend and had to dress like a baby today. Because it's the end of the year, there are lots of awards and scholarships awarded. Madison received two scholarships from school - a drama scholarship and one from the PTSA. She won "best actress" for Romeo and Juliet at the drama awards, and was given her honors stoles. She'll be graduating Summa Cumme Laude with a 4.1. I remember being happy to graduate with a much lower g.p.a. I think I have Rhett's math/science genes and those of extremely talented grandparents to thank, plus Madison just works very hard. We hardly see her these days as the car rolls in and out of the driveway, but it's all good things she is up to. This Sunday she graduates from Seminary, and then next week the actual ceremony.
Garrett also has some good news for the summer. He was accepted to the "Star Talk" program for Arabic, and will be going three weeks in the summer to a language immersion program. He also has never tried out for choir, and made Chamber Singers! The Choir director liked his big deep voice. We're proud of our kids!





















8 comments:

Jenny Moore said...

Yeah for Madison and Garrett!!!
What amazing kids (young adults) you have turned out to be!!
We are so proud of you!!!

Moore Family said...

Wow! I had no idea that your kids did all of those things. Madison graduating suma cum laude with 4.1 gpa, being voted prom queen and the best actress at school? And how many 17 year old boys do you know that are in a program to learn Arabic for crying out loud? I'm very impressed.

You ever watch that Steve Martin movie "Parenthood"? In the movie, Steve Martin sees his 2 year old nephew reading advanced flash cards and then turns around to see his own little kid the same age ramming his head against the wall. I'm not saying my kids are like the kid knocking his brains out. They're smart, good kids - and they're only 3 and 6, not 18. But Madison and Garrett set the bar pretty high! :) Honestly though, they should be very proud of those accomplishments. Great job!

I guess what you hope for as a parent is to support your kids and bring the best out in them, whatever that may be.

Glen

Maude said...

My goodnes that's impressive! I knew Madison and Garrett were extremely awesome, but thanks for filling us in on the honors we had not yet about! Congratulations to both of you! We're very, very proud of you both - - -and not a bit surprised! Garrett,knowing you, I'm sure you'll ace the language program - - -and I think you'll really enjoy choir, too. It's nice to develop that "other" side of your brain. :)

Love the cute photos. Madison is not only smart, talented, and pretty, but also very photogenic!

Love you all very much!

Gram/Mom

Unknown said...

That's way awesome about both Madison and Garrett!!!!! What a great family! Madison's pictures are incredibly cute too!!!! I am way excited for both of them (AND SO EXCITED FOR MADISON TO COME TO USU!!!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Congratulations on those achievements and honors! Beautiful intelligent children who are fun and easy to love. Kudos to the entire family for being outstanding. Yes, as Glen says, they set the bar. Hope to get more details as we talk. We're excited to see you this summer.

Love, Dad/Papa

Paul and Joni said...

I have such smart and good lookin' nieces/nephews. We really want to come down to Madison's graduation but Joni will be out of town and I'm working all week, hopefully we'll make it again soon. Congrats!

Happy The Man said...

I'm proud of your kids too, super proud!

Hey, is that Rhett's tutu that Madison is wearing???

Sorry, meant to put a jab in a few posts back about a pink apron that Rhett was sporting but my timing was not good (a day late and a dollar short).

Anonymous said...

I still can't believe how quickly time is passing! We are so happy for Madison and all that she has accomplished in her life so far. She is going to do so great in college. Garrett is going to have a great next couple of years in high school too. That is soo cool that he is going to be in Chambers. Hannah is in Chambers at Niwot next year. Arabic is amazing!!! Wow is all that I can say about that!

Love,
NANNI SUE