This is where we stopped when we mixed up our directions and were lost. We looked up and here was the sign! There were no main roads to Camp Lejuene and it was very country, which was fun. Lots and lots of churches with signs like this. 
We stopped at "Rays" where the signs inside said "No barefeet and no profanity allowed". We had some down home food and watched "Young and the Restless" with the two waitresses who were off their shifts. The cool thing about Rays was the owner had decorated the entire interior with Roosters.

Livi got a large serving of her favorite at Ray's - mashed potatoes and gravy. It took about five hours to drive to Camp Lejeune, where our tent site was surrounded on all sides by R.V.'s. The place was packed but just a short walk to the beach.
Next time we'll get of the double wides or cabins that you can reserve for a song. We slept in two tents, and woke up with all these slugs and snails all over the tent. I promised myself that I would be a good sport and not lose my cool all weekend about camping, which I'm not very good at. I kept my promise, and had a good idea.
After setting up camp, Madison and I went to get food at the commissary and after we put the groceries in the car, I couldn't find my keys anywhere. I searched the car and my purse while Madison went into the store to look in the aisles and had management make an announcement. After half an hour of searching and saying prayers, I found my keys and sunglasses in the bottom of a large box of watermelon. They had fallen out of my purse when I bent down to get a melon out of the box. Part of our going to Lejuene was to see Patrick and give him a morale boost, so he spent some time with us. It was a really good time with him. The Marines is not what he thought it was, and he was very happy to see us. We all went to church and he and Rhett went for a walk/talk with Rhett. Rhett offered to give him a blessing, and Patrick was very happy to get one.

I tried to be vigilent with the water and the sunblock. But everyone was fried to a crisp. Rhett took the older kids out in the water to ride the big waves, and I was watching Becca with Cecily asleep on my lap. Becca decided to turn and swim out to get to Rhett, who was far away. I stood on the shore yelling at her, and she just kept bobbing and swimming away. I asked a marine to go out and get her, ask her to come back. I told him that her name was Becca. Luckily he was a good swimmer and she came back.
At dusk, we watched "Horton Hears a Who" on the beach, and then Livi began to shiver and be sick with dehydration. Rhett took her to the ER and they sat all night drinking water and hydrating her again. The next morning we all decided that we were sick of being burned, tired, snail invested, and rained on, so we decided to leave after church. Despite the setbacks, Camp Lejuene is really nice and we loved the beach. We dropped Patrick off at this barracks and everyone fell asleep in our airconditioned van, passing the aloe and the snacks. Monday we rested and watched "Paul Blart, Mall Cop" for Family Night. Camping is a dirty business, but I think we should do it at least once a year just for a "family togetherness" experience.




8 comments:
Great story Melecia. Sounds like another Jeffries adventure - I'm glad you're all okay and only had one trip to the hospital. Good thing there was a Marine ready to swim out and get Becca. I'm sure that scared you to death seeing your little girl bob off to sea.
Glen
Thats sounds fun and totally not fun all at the same time...adventure is the proper word for sure. Glad everyone is okay, you just made me not want to go camping in North Carolina but the beach sounds fun.
Way funny, Melecia! Now I know everyone is okay, I can laugh with you about it. Sorry Livi had such a bad time, and glad Becca is fine. She's such a great and confident swimmer, she probably thought nothing of being out there!
I love the first photo - - -not an answer to your "lost" prayers, but the timing is awesome.
Your camping experience was pretty typical for beach camping, I'd say - - -especially for Memorial Day.(or Labor Day - -or Fourth of July!) On Friday, there was a steady steam of Utah cars going past our hill on the way to Island Park. You'll have to try a less busy weekend - - although the crawly things probably would always be there.
Thanks for sharing.
Love you, and am glad you're safely and sanely back home! :)
Always,
Mom
P. S. Didn't you love going to sleep to the sound of the waves? That's a favorite part of beach camping, don't you think?
Great pictures of the kids, by the way. They look like they're having a great time.
Mom
That was a grueling experience. Next time get more comfortable housing and just go for the beach. The pictures look like fun times for the kids. You were generous to give Patrick a break. We remind me of a pioneers family making the trek.
Love you,
Dad
Glad to hear you survived to blog about it! It sounded from your call on Sunday that you all could have died from the burns!
Glen and I are always so inspired by your family "adventures", makes us realize we need to get out more and roll up our sleeves and not sweat the small stuff!
Well, I really can't decide if camping is a good thing or not. I agree that's it's fun and we should try to go once a year, but truly it is a lot of work and it is a dirty business! Glad you all survived. That was really nice to include Patrick and to give him a blessing. I hope he'll be all right. I bet everyone is starting to peel about now, right? At least that's fun to peel off those long pieces of skin, right??!!
Love you,
Susan
Ewwww, I don't do slugs! Scary about Livi but glad she is ok, sun dehydration is not fun at all. I don't care how vigilant I am it always seems I'm not vigilant enough when it comes to sunscreen, you aren't the only one.
Post a Comment