Blog Background

Friday, July 06, 2007

Swim meet


Swim meets are long events - the home meets at our pool last about five hours start to finish. It's like a giant cookout/gabfest while waiting for your child's race. Becca always one race -#15. She manages to swim a crawl stroke with her head out of the water, a smile on her face - flipping her hair from one side to the other as she swims. She also gags in the water a lot, and we hold our breath in case she throws up. Livi and Madison swim five or six events, and because of that we splurged and bought them the green $50 team suit that Livi is modeling. Livi says she hears theme music when she races, like Bolero, and Madison has a graceful stroke in the water - her cap has a big bump in the back from al that hair. Becca gets one next year. As a swim parent, you get to work two meets in some official capacity. We normally time, but the timer slots were full, so I signed up for "rope". I knew that this meant I would be in charge of the false start rope, and thought I could handle that. It meant holding the rope tight
over the pool during every race, and dropping it if a false start buzzer goes off. I also realize that I am a pansy rope holder. After a couple of hours, I was begging for someone else to take over. After three hours, someone did. Okay - it's back to the gym for me! Cecily not only knows how to open a cell phone, she knows how to dial and then talk. She called gramster a few weeks ago!
Rhett took the three youngest girls camping last night. They loved the smores, and Cecily ran back and forth in the tent all night on the air mattresses, which deflated overnight. They all came back with ticks, which we took off with the tweasers. I still freak out about ticks from growing up in the west and rocky mountain fever. Here - ticks are plentiful, and you get them almost everywhere. I still feel like screaming "TICK" when I see one, and running for cover.
I am needing a makeover -clothes & hair - who is up for it?





Cecily is mad that her phone plan only allows for 900 minutes a month - free text messaging though Ceciloo! After her old phone went missing or stolen, Madison bought another last week -
the ring tone is from the movie "Music & Lyrics" - Hugh Grant singing "Pop goes my heart". Now Patrick and her girlfriends can call and text message and we can hear "Pop goes my heart" 20 plus times a day, and I can do something besides answer the phone. Madison and Patrick mostly just walk to and from his two jobs and her one - His other job is pounding metal for his uncle's duct work company. He became sick today with heat exhaustion and dehydration walking to work, and Madison called us for help. Well, time to get the girls to bed and Rhett wants to go out and fly his RC airplane.
We'll blog July 4th next time!

7 comments:

Paul and Joni said...

Cecily finally got the goo out of her hair, that's good. When I was a lifeguard swim meets were the best because I actually had people to watch. I did pull a poop out of the pool with a net once, but that was the most action I got. Every time there was a swim meet the toilets clogged though and I had to clean them...anyways...ya'll look happy. I don't think you need a makeover, but I bet with all you do for your kids it would be nice to have a Melecia pampering day.

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Those are such cute pictures of the girls and you too! You always looks so bright and happy. I don't know how you do it. Holding a rope for many hours would do anyone in! Don't feel bad at all about giving up your post to someone else!!
We just watched Music and Lyrics again tonight and loved it! I want to have that ring tone on my phone. Sounds like Madison and Patrick are hard workers. I hope he has recovered from the heat and dehydration!!
Love you lots!
Susan

Maude said...

Fun photos, Melecia. Becca truly has an angel face - -and you ARE an angel for helping at swim meets. To me, they're the worst, because it's so humid, and the noises reverberate against the cement and water until they almost drive a person crazy. Give me a good fresh-air track meet any time! You're a great family, top to bottom, and "Mom" looks mighty cute to me. I hope your cold is better and that you're having a good week.

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

It was great to talk to you yesterday. You are soooobusy!!
You are doing all the right things with your darlings. Don't forget to take some time for yourself. We love you soooooomuch!! Dad

Anonymous said...

That's a great picture of Becca just kicking back. I can see why someone would get tired holding the rope for that long. Doesn't seem like a muscle you'd use all the time... let alone for 5 hours.

Anonymous said...

That picture of Becca is priceless. I wonder what she is thinking?
We have phone issues with Bess also. We have to hide the fact that we are on the cell phone at times in fear that she will see us and cry for the phone. We have given her old cell phones that don't turn on and work but she knows and doesn't like those ones. Stinkers!
Wish I could help you with a make over but I agree with the others, your classy and beautiful, no need for one. I do the same thing though, as soon as I see a picture of myself I think, "dang I have got to get to the gym more, running isn't doing enough" or "wow, I really should cut my long strangly hair." I think it's just women in general. We beat ourselves up.

Happy birthday to Olivia today!!! Wish we could be there to help celebrate with you all.

Anonymous said...

Melecia you are definitely super mom of the world!
You always make it look so easy and you always have a smile and a positive attitude!
Hey I'll join you for a makeover...after being at mom's I had to get my booty back to the gym...that woman can cook!!!!