Iam ashamed to say that I know very little about Saudi Arabia, and the past day or so I've been reading the packets Rhett has brought from work. I thought they were so interesting, I wanted to forward them on. One packet is on the religion of Islam and the customs and etiquette of the Saudi people to prepare visitors for living in the country. The second packet talks about the housing facilities and what to expect. The weekend for Saudis is Thursday and Friday - they work on Saturday and Sunday, so Rhett will be doing the same. Religious services will be held on Friday, the holy day in Islam. Rhett will live inside the compound and have a three bedroom "villa" - furnished and equipped with appliances, etc. The base has a gym, pool, etc - lots for him to do. You can certify in scuba, take Arabic classes, and take trips around the country every now and then. Everyone working there is unaccompanied - without family. I thought the boys would enjoy hearing that there is one grass golf course in the Kingdom, and five sand courses - that makes sense, right? This is straight out of the manual "A hobby is a 'MUST' here so bring all supplies for your special hobby." Clothes and shoes wear out rapidly, and everyone is asked to bring extra of both. Another quote "Life here can be frustrating and confining, but you will also find it interesting and educational. The three most important ingredients you can bring with you are a spirit of adventure, your sense of humor, and a great deal of patience."
If you are a western woman, you need to respect the conservative views of the Kingdom, which means that women don't drive, have their own section in restraunts and busses, and wear the
Abaya (black shroud) and veil outside the compound, unless they are wearing a business suit which is recognized as professional.
We can't send Rhett any movies, because most western movies are viewed as porn, and they will throw them away. Rhett also can't carry his scriptures in sight or talk about the church. Books we send him will be looked at by security also, and can be tossed. A little more interesting stuff from the handbook:
Generally, Saudi's value sincerity and graciousness with etiquette, and it is never appropriate to display impatience or haste because these traits are interpreted as evidence of insincerity or a lack or self-control. It is wise not to express admration or interest in any of an Arab's belongings because they most people will offer it to you as a gift, and insist that you keep it. Saudi Arabians are not apt to take offense at a foreigner's social blunder made out of ignorance,but a deliberate slight will be viewed as serious. They also frown on reaching for things with your left hand at the table (Rhett is a lefty). Taking photographs within the Kingdom is generally discouraged, and you can't photograph anyone without their permission.
I remember a lot of this when mom and I went to Israel.
Rhett is also looking forward to being trained as a marksman with a 9 milimeter handgun before he goes. Hopefully he will never need to use it! I guess what Paul said about Jack Bauer is maybe a little true, and Rhett is happy that he is going from "geek" to "cool geek".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Thanks, Melecia, for the interesting information. You're right - - - -as I read it, I was reminded of the social customs we learned before going to Israel. I also agree that it sounds very interesting, yet challenging. I guess having a hobby is important because of all the time one has to spend within the compound? What hobby is Rhett choosing to take with him?
We'll all be praying for him and for you and the family. You are pretty incredible, staying so positive and upbeat about it all. Makes the rest of our little "challenges" seem even littler. That's Melecia.
We love you.
Mom
Thanks for sharing the information, Melecia. I think it will be best for us to keep in touch with Rhett through you so that you can screen what is approp-riate and what is not. There is a part of you that loves adventure, and another part that worries some. Let us share in both parts of you and support you as you go through this next challenge in your life. I'm very proud of you and believe in your tremendous ability to cope and to learn from this upcoming change. Love, Dad
Thats pretty crazy, how do they feel about laughing, and going to the bathroom by yourself...j/k. It sounds funny, you can't do this and that and pretty much anything else you like to do, but make sure you have fun...on the inside, right? And the rest of the world thinks Americans are forcing thier culture on people who move here, Arabic class sound pretty cool.
I really like this week's NEWSWEEK issue about people in America who practice the Islamic religion. I suggest you get a copy. America does offer a whole wide cultural exchange. I remember when you went to Israel for the summer you got a strong impression of perceptions and traditions of people in their own country. There's always dangers that the media portrays, and there is also much to be gained by appreciating the diversity of other cultures. I'm glad Rhett is making preparations to be safe. We live in a great country. It's too bad others from abroad can't see us as we really are. Dad
Melecia-
Very informative...it will be a learning experience for all.
You've got such a great attitude! I guess it's like what many pioneer women went through when their husbands were called on missions. Thank heavens for modern technology!!!
I think it's pretty cool that Rhett gets to carry a firearm. Of course, hopefully he doesn't have to use it.
I knew a few of those customs, but many were new to me. It must be really hard to be a westernized women in Saudi Arabia. I work with a couple of women who do sales calls to Saudi Arabia. Some of the men they talk to refuse to talk business with them and ask to speak with a man. It seems like that culture tries to repress anything unorthodox.
Interesting to know.
Post a Comment