Blog Background

Saturday, June 05, 2010

And in case I don't see ya, good afternoon and goodnight!

I was having too close of a relationship with my Facebook account and it got out of hand, so I am officially "unplugged", meaning I deleted the account a few weeks ago. For me, it had to be all or nothing ... like getting all of the alcohol out of the house for an alcoholic. Day one I wandered over to the computer about ten to twenty times before forgetting that I didn't have a Facebook account. Then I went and ate a few chocolate chips to fill the void, then I realized that chocolate chips will not help me in the long run! Gone are the nights of clicking through Madison's pictures missing her. Gone are the nights of sifting through other peoples pictures, or thinking about the status of 200 plus people. The thing is that I DO care, and seeing so many different status updates was a little stressful, plus reading things that can be classified as just mind numbing was an issue too. My friend Michelle told me that if anything earth shattering happens, she will be sure and pick up the phone and call me. I've had a few more phone calls this week. It's nice!
I don't want to live as a hermit, though I do love the quiet of having time all to myself... by myself. I hardly ever get bored, and sometimes I need to make an effort to go outside and make new friends. It's something I need to do. Facebook can be reaching out and connecting, but going on can also leave a feeling of being lonely and unsatisfied.... that everyone else is doing something great, and I'm not. Going off of Facebook has also helped my mind go off "compose" mode, like thinking of great lines or thoughts for my "status update".

The president of Facebook in a Time magazine article is a 24 year old genius, and said that he hopes that people will get to the point where they will automatically push the "like" button when they like something without giving it another thought. This will help the advertisers lined up on Facebook, and that every peace of data we reveal about ourselves is logged into Facebook so that we can be targeted by certain advertisers. So what about Blogging... isn't it the same thing? I hope not. So going counter-culture for a while has been nice. I've read more, tucked my kids in at night and read to them, looked them in the eye while talking to them, and the house might be a little cleaner too. I feel a little like Truman in "The Truman Show" escaping from this world where everyone can see what he is doing, and saying "Good Morning, and it I don't see ya, good afternoon and goodnight"!

6 comments:

Melecia said...

By the way this is Melecia that wrote this.

Maude said...

Melecia, I think what you did is great! I've pretty much done the same thing - - -still have the account, but get on about once a week. It does have the potential for becoming an obsession. Wednesday, I read an article that addressed the issue of how many marriages had been ruined through Facebook - - -people "friending" old boyfriends, girlfriends,etc. and things getting out of hand. Not to mention the danger to young people who reveal more than they should to "the world," including some who might use the information harmfully. You can call me any ol' time you'd like, honey pie! I'd love to hear from you!

Love you lots.
Mom

Jenny Moore said...

You go girl!
I've never joined facebook for fear that I would get obsessed!!!
Welcome back to the non facebook world, it's great to have you!!!!

Paul and Joni said...

I've kind of felt the same lately, ever since we moved and couldn't have internet for 3 weeks I realized there are so many other things I can do with my time. I haven't looked at Facebook in over a month and I rarely look at blogs. Maybe I'll jump back on soon but for now I'm enjoying myself throughly.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! We definitely need to talk more!

Love you,
Susan

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Melecia. We talked about this other day on the phone. I'm very pleased with your decision and wish others in my family would do the same. It's hard to relate to someone who is constantly texting messages on the cell-phone and getting lost on the computer. Real friends are face-to face, or phone, and converse with each other because they care to listen as well as be heard.

Love You.

Dad xox