Blog Background

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Reading List

Tonight our Book Group met in the basement of one of our members - we are loud and laugh a lot so she didn't want to wake the family and wanted us to enjoy ourselves in the process. I love our Book Group - we don't agree on really anything - some are more outspoken than others, but we respect each other and hopefully nobody goes home with hurt feelings. Everyone was in agreement that we liked, even LOVED this month's book -

The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society by Schaffer &
Barrows.

I thought I'd jot down our list for this year - we voted on selections, old and new, popular and classics, fiction and non-fiction. I look forward to reading! Is anyone reading a great book they want to share?

  1. October - "Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier
  2. Nov. - "Mrs Mike" by Benedict Freedman
  3. Dec. - Bring favorite poem or children's book
  4. Holiday Party - Reading of a one-act or partial play (last year was "The Importance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde)
  5. Jan. "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser (to help us with our dieting)
  6. Feb. "The Age of Innocence" by Edith Wharton
  7. Mar. " The Last Lecture" and "Man's Search For Meaning" - invite men
  8. April "Timeline" by Michael Crichton
  9. May "Suite Francaise" by Irene Nemirovsky
  10. June Selection from Mark Twain - Fieldtrip to Stanton Shakespeare Festival
  11. July "The Art of Happiness" by Dalai Lama & Howard Cutler

6 comments:

Maude said...

Thanks for sharing, Melecia. A very interesting list! You have something from almost every decade of the 1900's, I believe! I've read "Rebecca,"(30's) "The Last Lecture," "The Age of Innocence,"
(20's),and Mark Twain, of course. "The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society" sounds like a fun book to read. It's neat you're doing the book club. Sounds like a very lively group!

Love you lots. Happy reading.
Mom

Paul and Joni said...

I've only read "The Last Lecture" and "Fast Food Nation". I loved FFN, but at the same time it made me realize how many bad decisions companies make for the sake of convenience. Book clubs are the best - I loved mine in CT.
Thank you SO much for the package!! Every little bit helps and there is some cute, cute stuff in there. That was very thoughtful of you, and we really appreciate it.

Joni

Jenny Moore said...

Thanks for sharing your list Melecia, it looks great!!
Sounds like you've got a super fun group, I'm hoping to find some gals here that I can be relaxed and play with !

Happy The Man said...

1. Curious George
2. Captain Underpants (the entire collection)
3. Mad for Decades: 50 Years of Forgettable Humor from Mad Magazine. (Hardcover)

I think you should make these suggestions at your next Book Club meeting :)

Anonymous said...

We could introduce the Captain Underpants Series at the December Children's Book meeting. Would you like to attend?

Garity said...

Excellent choices in books Greg! What does it say about me that we have all 3 of those books/series? I don't mind admitting I was a huge Mad Magazine fan.

Melecia, I haven't read any of the books you guys are reading. Our book group here is reading:

Sept: I Capture the Castle by Dodi Smith
Oct: I am a Mother by Jane Clayson
Nov: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Dec: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Jan: How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.
Feb: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
March: Eat the Rich by Peter O'Rourke
April: The Peacegiver by James Ferrell

I've only read "The Peacegiver" when we read it there in the F'burg book group and I've read "Pride and Predudice", again for the F'burg book group but all the others are new to me.

Ha Ha "we don't agree on really anything - some are more outspoken than others, but we respect each other and hopefully nobody goes home with hurt feelings." What, things didn't settle down when I left? I miss you guys!