Blog Background

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Bedtime questions of an almost ten year old

Livi took 4th grade family life at the end of the school year, and tonight on the way home from the swim meet (when we're so tired we can barely say a coherant sentence) the questions started coming. I am realizing that "the talk" is not a perfectly planned moment, but rather a lot of questions that are answered here and there - definately when you least expect it. I wonder what things you all remember about family life, and your early musings......

"I have an egg? Where does it come from? How does it get to be a baby?"
"Does giving birth hurt? What if your baby is too big? What if you are small and your
husband is a huge guy... will you have a huge baby? How big is my baby going to be? Do I have
to have a baby? Why does it hurt? What if it can't get out?
"How does an egg get to be a baby?" I asked- "how much do you already know about this subject?" she said, "I know all about plant pollination, and that's about it." Okay... then we discussed fertilization for a ten year old mind, and she was going "Really? Really? Oh my gosh!"
When a man & a woman do that, how does IT get in there?"
"What if I like a guy, how do we know if we have anything in common? What if you marry someone and you have nothing in common? What if lots of people ask you to marry them, but you don't want to hurt their feelings and say no? What if you like two guys exactly the same, and you can't choose between them?" Then a little break....."who was Hoodini, and how did he escape from all those chains? If you take tonsils out, did you need them all the time, and what do tonsils actually do?"
The ending questions "When I die and go to heaven, what age will I be? What will I look like?"
Tonight she really didn't wait to hear all the answers, she just wanted to ask a lot of questions and watch her mom start to answer before she launched into another series of questions. Becca was in the car quietly listening while sucking her fingers, and I'm sure tucking all the information in for a later time, and Cecily was sawing logs. The only thing she seems to have learned from family life.. you're going to start a little bleeding soon... have your mom buy some pads!

3 comments:

Paul and Joni said...

wow, no advice from here, I'm sure you'll know what to do. That was a great description of Becca soaking it all in while Cecily was sawing logs. I don't ever remember having the talk or asking questions because I just didn't want to know...especially from my mom, but in 6th grade two guys next to me in class were talking about how "it" happens. I had never put all those videos we saw together in class until then, and I thought, "how disgusting".

Maude said...

Wonderful blog, Melecia. I laughed and laughed. I think Livi was 50% curious, and 50% having tons of fun watching Mom squirm, don't you? She has that little mischievous side sometimes. What a wide range of questions! The picture of Becca, just listening away, was priceless. Thanks - - -and I'm sure there are many more fun "talks" ahead. :)

Maude said...

Oops - - I clicked myself off somehow! Anyway, I'm sure you're doing a masterful job of answering any and all questions. I remember when you were asking the questions instead of answering them!
One summer, my cousin and I asked my aunt Belva, who had a herd of dairy cattle those "birds and bees" questions. Her response? It's just like the cows. What a pciture! Thank heavens I talked with Mom and got that image out of my noggin. By the way, Paul, we did have "the" talk - - only in bits and pieces; then you'd say "TMI, TMI!" :)