Blog Background

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Dating your dad, and the trunk or treat

Rhett and Madison went on their date Saturday night - to "Pancho Villa". Madison "Dad told me to always wait for the guy to open the door for you... no matter how long it takes. For some of the guys I know, they will drive off before they even notice that I'm still by the door." Question for the family - What was your most memorable date?




I love getting ready for the trunk or treat! What a joy! I was too lazy to get a good costume this year, so I went into the mismatched sock bascket and pinned ALL the socks to my old shirt. I had some good guesses for my costume: static cling? a magnet? dirty/clean laundry? house wife? I just nodded and said "yes" to all of the above.


A little more creative and excited were the kids! From left - A secret service agent, a kitty cat with some style, Elizabeth Swan (friend to Captain Jack Spratt), a duck, and an 80's girl. Madison could not find a costume, so she searched through my closet and came upon an outfit i wore years ago. She laughed at the fact that i once wore that. Rhett was able to come home from a trip and join us near the end of the evening. Everyone looked so cute and we all got hopped up on candy.

It is so great to have older kids that help us take such good care of the younger ones. They are really great! When Rhett got home, I tried to kiss him while he was holding Cecily. Cecily was totally jealous and tried to pull my hair out by the roots and scream every time I got close to him! We played a little game with her - she was really wanting to be the total center of daddy's world, and no other woman was going to get even close! I asked Rhett if he could watch the kids a few hours on Saturday so I could get away by myself . He was very kind and said "Go - enjoy yourself!" I got in the van with a map and drove to see some fall leaves in the Shanendoah foothills and stopped by Graves Mountain Apple Orchard. The apples were already picked and in large crates - sold for $16 a bushel! There were six or seven different types of apples. Lots of people were there filling up crates - restaurant owners and staff, people from the city, people from the country. I think I went a little crazy and brought home two bushels. The day was windy, and the fall leaves were bright colors - they blew against the windshield like a confetti parade. I sang to the radio - listened to music loud - and stopped at the Plow and Hearth outlet store - found some Christmas ornaments for the kids. Came home feeling totally refreshed! Sometimes a mom just needs a little r & r. Rhett had to go to Florida today, but because of that little trip, I'm ready! Coming to tomorrow's blog - Redneck scenes. Have a wonderful day and thankyou family for being so understanding of my crazy self. I love you!

-Melecia

15 comments:

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

What a fun date for Madison and Rhett. It's great for him to teach her what to expect from a boy. That's funny that Cecily is so jealous of you when Rhett comes back from a trip.

The Halloween costumes were great! I especially liked the socks. Very clever. All the kids looked awesome.

Your Saturday getaway to the country sounded like so much fun. You'll have fun making apple pie and apple sauce with all those apples!! We miss the beauty of the fall in the East. I'm glad you took the chance to go and see it. Our fall here was pretty, but nothing compared to what we had in New York! We miss that!

Favorite date? I guess my first date with your dad to the Boulder Dinner Theatre--"Singing in the Rain" is right up there towards the top!!

Can't wait to see the Redneck Scenes!
Love ya,
Susan

Anonymous said...

I agree that every once in awhile moms need a little time alone...I find myself wandering around Walmart probably looking stoned but just grateful no one is asking me for something and there is no phone so I can't work on YW stuff!!
Sounds beautiful, I wish I was there with you!
You're great...love the blogs

Anonymous said...

Great costume idea Melecia. I have a pile of mismatched socks that are sitting on my dresser that need to be put to great use. I love how when a sock goes missing, Glen thinks I am hiding it from him like I don't want him to have matched socks or something?
Rhett is such a great dad to take Madison on that date and teach her how to let a boy respect her. GREAT JOB RHETT!
My best date???hmmm....it's too late at night, I'll have to think about this one and get back to you.

Anonymous said...

Hey, what neat photos, and all the kids look super in their costumes! I love it when the cute teenager learns that Mom was once the stylin' girl herself. Madison, I hope you don't have to wait till cobwebs form around you for a guy to open the door for you! I'm sure the boys you might date will be smart enough to figure it out, even if they have a temporary memory lapse! Love the costume, Melecia - - -I love that what you were was left up to the imaginations of others. Pretty creative! My theory is that washing machines just eat a sock or two now and then. Otherwise, how could they disappear forever? Remember that time you were a table? A little tough to get through doors, but original, for sure! Your getaway sounds awesome. Fall is my favorite time to do that - - -just drive and walk and enjoy. It's better than a day at a spa, by far! Happy fall! Happy Halloween to you ALL!

Anonymous said...

What a super blog! You are a hard working Mom who makes everything so nice! Saturday was our ward Halloween party. Our family was in charge of "musical chairs" on the stage in the cultural hall. The costumes were excellent. We had to keep the big kids from dominating the little kids in the game. Hannah and her friend Zoe ran another booth of "pin the ghost." Tonight we have the Tranes and missionaries over for our traditional Halloween dinner. including "poisonous toadstools, bloody skin, wrapped eyeballs, leaves of fungus with eye of newt and heart of rat." The main dish is "blood, clots, and guts (Spagetti), skeleton bones," and for dessert "Ghoulish devil cake." We are drinking an assortment of scary sodas. My favorite date, besides the one Susan mentioned, was our trip with the Braithwaites to Nantucket and Martha's vineyard. Riding on motor cycles in the rain was the funnest part.

Love, Dad

Paul and Joni said...

Am I the only one who noticed how manly Garret looks? I don't think I want to make fun of him for fear of getting my neck snapped, and the kid isn't even in high school yet...is he? I don't remember who I was with, but a dance date I went to in high school was pretty fun because we went 4 wheelin and my friend's car got stuck, so we piled 4 couples into my car and got to the dance late with mud still in our ears. I think it was Prom.
That is funny that Cecily is jealous, I have only heard about little boys being jealous of the dad because they have a crush on thier mom. I guess Rhett is special, wasn't it Madison who tried to go after Rhett for some milk once?

Jenny Moore said...

Hey Melecia...our link goes to google news!!!

Anonymous said...

Jen and Steve, your blog is quite informative!

Melecia said...

oops! sorry guys - I'll have Madison get to work on that as soon as she gets home.
Looking "stoned" at Wal-mart - yes I can totally relate to that image too!
Love,
Melecia

Anonymous said...

What is this trunk or treat I keep hearing everyone talk about?

Anonymous said...

Its the same as trick or treat, except that everyone pulls into the church parking lot and gives out candy from the trunks of their cars. Highly efficient for candy hoarding.

Plus it's usually on an off night so you can hoard more junk other nights too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've always thought all that walking on Halloween was counter-productive to the effects candy anyway.

Anonymous said...

Thats true, but this way, you can turn around and pass out the candy from the trunk or treating on Halloween. ;)

Anonymous said...

OOOO, that's sneaky. I like it.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Paul. I saw Garrett not that long ago, but wow, has he grown up. He definitely looks ready for the FBI - - -or someone's body guard. No one would want to tangle with him, I'm sure!