The early morning hours....
Mornings start early here. Rhett is up at 4:30 - goes for a run and leaves for his trek to work. This morning was my morning for the seminary
carpool. I hear madison saying "Mom, it's time!" Then I just roll out of bed, have my jeans and coat there at the foot of the bed, and go straight out to the van.
First we pick up Mia and Kat - beautiful sisters who live in the neighborhood but for whatever reason are not close to Madison, then Ben, with his large trombone
case and funny humor in the morning. Ben's parents put a bench out by the road so he can wait for us, and on a clear day, he tells us about the stars and constellations that
are out. Then Lee, a homeschooled boy who wishes he were in high school, but who has a very controlling mother. Lee comes straight out of bed too - usually just wearing a t-shirt and shorts. Lee looks much happier, though, when he gets in the van and the only seat left is to be wedged between Mia and Kat in the back seat. Madison controlls two things: the radio and the heat, which she blasts as high as she possibly can - though it never starts to get warm until we get to the church. This morning the Wolf family were pulling up just before us, and so for whatever reason it was a race to see who could get in the building first - everyone was running for the door saying go! go! go! Ben was funny this morning - he said "Sister Jefferies - your hair looks like mine did before I combed it this morning". I looked in the mirror for the first time and I was sporting a truly eighties
"Flock of seagulls" hairdo. People pay big money for hair styles like that, and I had done it without any effort at all. Steve - you came to mind at that moment! On my way home, Madison has the heat blasting to 76 degrees or so, and I am nauseous from the sudden change in temperature. I turn off the heat and pull in the driveway. Carpool over! Cecily is up and making noises in her crib. I take her back to bed for a few minutes - this morning she is cuddly and snuggles up next to me in her warm little sleeper. I lay and listen to the soft baby sounds that she makes and realize that cuddling next to a happy baby is one of the most wonderful things in the world. I love that this baby loves to be kissed too! Garrett is up now and sore - sore because he played a great game of football yesterday and sore because he just got his bottom braces on, and he has to slurp his cereal. (Very annoying noise). For you football fans - Garrett played defensive tackle and right guard. There team has lost every game, but yesterday they played brilliantly, and were in the lead until the very last thirty seconds of the game. I thought of a really funny thing for the next blog entry. On my driving route to the high school, I see so many little redneck things out, that I am going to do a photo collage of the things I see which will give you a taste of some of the area culture! The leaves are also very colorful right now, so I'll include some of that. Wish you could come and see the beautiful fall leaves here!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Dear dear Melecia:
Bless your heart for doing the seminary carpool so faithfully! We are so lucky to have our seminary teacher's senior son pick up Eric every day! We only have to chip in for gas. What a deal. You only have to do it one week a month, right??
One of the things I remember about driving to seminary when I was a youth was that the kid I rode with always blasted the heat right into my face and I hated it! I still can't stand to have the vents pointed at my face. It's funny how some things just continue on.
Do you stay at the church and wait or go home and come back?
I agree with you about cuddly babies! There's nothing better. I still like to cuddle with Hannah, my baby!
I can't wait to see the redneck pictures. I'm sure it will remind me of Wellsville. The big thing there was those huge blowup Halloween lawn ornaments. People couldn't afford to paint their houses, but they could put ten of those things on their front lawns!!
Have a great day!
Love you,
Susan
The great thing about having a blog now is that you have so many stories to tell. I love reading about them because it helps me feel closer to ya'll over there instead of talking on the phone once or twice a year. I never knew you were so detailed...or funny for that matter. I can totally see the flock of seagulls early in the morning. Rhett is truly a crazy man.
Rhett is an animal!!! Manly man. The only thing that gets up at 4:30 in our house is the roof due to the snoring.
On the hair comment: Long past are the days of cool morning hair (or hair at all for that matter) are long gone for me.
I like the picture you painted though with the morning story. I felt like I was there….dude.
Blogger hint:
Under blogger settings/comments/who can comment? Change the setting to anyone so that us working fellas can comment when away from home.
Melecia-You are a very talented writer. I felt like I was there! I can't wait until Christmas to see all the kids and to catch up!
Happy Fall!
I also felt like I was right there with you this morning. However, I am really glad I wasn't.
It all seems really funny to hear but I am quite grouchy in the morning and I don't think I would have thought it was funny being there.
I agree with Madison on blowing the heat. I hated cold morning drives to seminary. My windshield was always frosted over so I would go out and throw hot water on it so it would melt fast because I was always running late.
I can't wait to hear about Garretts football game. I also get really annoyed by slurping cereal eaters and people that bang the bowl with their spoon while you are trying to sleep.:)
I remember how beautiful it was there when we come around this time almost 4 years ago. I loved Fredericksburg. It seems like a nice place. Kendi
Garrett is in highschool?
You do write very well, must have been all that Jane Austin you read. Not that I would know if she's a good writer or not. :)
That's only because Jubby is more of a Danielle Steele type of guy.
I'll show you my Danielle fist of Steele if you don't watch that lip, Steve.
Awesome piece, Melecia. Sounds like a fun, delightful way to start the morning. Remember when we held seminary in our basement? Steve had the bad hair EVERY day, 'cause he'd drag himself out of bed just in time for the opening prayer - - -with a little coaxing! :) I guess Idaho kids are lucky, with zero hour or released time seminary most of the time - - although they did have to roll out for early morning while in Jr. high. Ah, the memories! Can't wait to see the redneck stuff!
Nice blog Melecia. Keep 'em coming. You have a talent with writing. My favorite is that scary story you wrote about the "put it on the grill" killer. Good stuff.
Oh no. Did Paul say "ya'll"?!
What time does Rhett go to bed if he wakes up so early? That's insane. One of the nice things about the place where I work is that there is a huge gym here and I can work out during lunch.
Post a Comment