Somedays events reach out and squeeze your heart, and you are given a glimpse about how God feels about His children, and the simple things become extraordinary things. Now that Garrett has learned a little Arabic, he's been able to speak with some of the kids who have moved from the Middle East and settled on the East Coast. One of those friends name Muhhamad came with us to church today. He is a mixture of East and West, a Muslim from Packistan who wore tennis shoes, a cool black t-shirt, a blazer over the t-shirt, and then a prayer cap from his religion. He drew most every eye when he came into sacrament meeting and sat with us, and I could picture how different our services must apppear to him. He is studying different religions, and wanted to study ours too. He is very friendly and fun, and he opened and read the scriptures during the meeting, sang the hymns, and took the sacrament. I've been reading and watching the news lately about the climate of our Nation and the hatred and prejudice that has come to Muslims or people from other countries due to the actions of a few. Some have even cried that our president is himself a Muslim and that a few say you can't be a Christian if you support one party or another. I loved President Uchdorf's talk about how we are all wearing the same "jersey" - we are all God's children. I looked over at Muhammad and could smell the good spices I remember from the Middle East that came from his clothes or his person. I was struck with the expanse of God's love.
Then on the way to primary I saw another friend Anita who was carrying her new foster child, Ryan. He is 15 months but is very small and needs to be carried. He had lively sparkling brown eyes and engaging smile. His head was misshapen and one arm hung loosely at his side. I read in the paper a week ago about a mother and her boyfriend who were jailed for child abuse, for actally crushing their son's head against a wall. This little guy just got out of the hospital at Inova, Fairfax after being in intensive care and having a full stroke, losing the feeling and use of one half of his body. He is recovering, but still needing to go back because of possibility of brain damage. His spirit shone through his injuries, and Anita asked if someone could hold him while she taught the sunbeams. Her children have been holding him and taking care of him, and the doctors and nurses have all asked about adopting him, but right now I think he legally has to go to an Aunt, who has serious mental issues and wouldn't be a good home for him. I was able to hold him and take him to the mother's room and rock him while he fell asleep. His hand clutched my shirt as he fell asleep, and I thought of all the people who were praying for him, and how much God loves him, and how he must be in so much pain when these little children are abused.
So much hate and so much love next to each other in this boy's young life! I guess what I learned from today is reading the papers about acts of hate or about those Muslims out there that we should fear - came right into my backyard today - right into church for all to see and touch and hold, and to realize that I need to love and not turn a blind eye to those things going on around me. It was hard, but a little glimpse of Heaven.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
What a great post that totally pulled at my heart strings. You've had so many opportunities to experience so many things with all your movings and travels. You're lucky.
I think that is what make you whom you are. I think your so thoughtful and think about all the little things while others just rush on their way or worry about their own.
I had an opportunity this past weekend to help a little with an event that helped a young family that has two small children with a rare disease called SMA. It was such a wonderful feeling to actually be a part of something that was helping someone else and outside of MY box. There are others out there, not just my family and those close to me. It was good for me to realize and I think I'ld like to do more of that.
Thanks for your words; and now I'll go get a tissue!
That was a very touching blog Melecia. It's makes you grateful for the knowledge we have of our loving Heavenly Father
Haven't checked out the blogs lately. What a nice way to try to get back into the groove. Love to read your thoughts and how you can value everyone's worth. Thanks, Melecia!
Your blog Melecia helps me to feel like a very proud parent. You have always had such a wonderful compassion for others. I remember how you would answer the phone when you were young. You knew how to talk maturely to my clients and other callers. You were very considerate of others and showed a sincere positive regard for people. You were an amazing nurturing mother figure one summer in an orphanage for small children in the Arab side of Jerusalem. I share with you the concern about all the anger and judgmental attitudes of people who don't agree politically. When someone loses a political battle in this country I think it's his or her responsibility to support our elected leaders rather than show hatred. I see a lot of prejudice, anger and ignorance among our own people. It's disheartening. Keep blogging dear. It's great to hear from you.
Love, Dad
Thanks for sharing this post! It is the best feeling to hold a little baby and rock it to sleep. That is so sad for that little baby! Im glad that family is helping him. We all need to sit back and think about things a little more and appreciate everything we have!
w thats the sweetest thing i have ever read.you are a very nice and lovely person
Post a Comment