Blog Background

Friday, August 28, 2009

The Parks

We hiked the south rim of the upper and lower falls at Yellowstone. Madison's best friend since childhood happened to be vacationing at the same time, and we were able to kidnap her for a day (another Jennay). She will be a freshman at BYU. Cecily led the way most of the hike, and we'll never forget those hundreds of stairs to get to the bottom of the falls and back.
The streets up to Mt Rushmore monument were lined on both sides with bikes.

Okay, Mt. Rushmore is smaller than we thought (at first).




Much better! Each person had their favorite face. Most of us liked Lincoln's best. One thing I didn't know about why they chose each president is to signify the birth (Washington), formation (Jefferson), expansion (Roosevelt), and preservation (Lincoln) of our nation. We also heard rumors that there is room for another face, and president Obama's is being considered. I always wondered why they chose those particular presidents for the monument.



I am seriously a Yellowstone freak, I could look at geysers and hot pools for days. I think my dream job would be to be a park ranger at Yellowstone. I didn't get near enough time seeing what I wanted to see, but the kids were amazingly patient.



Old Faithful, then Upper Falls view







Lower falls, I think...



Mesa falls is very close to Ashton, and incredibly scenic - less crowds. I was really tempted to see if I could dive in the bottom of this one, but only for a minute.





New Junior Rangers Livi and Becca take the oath of the Junior Ranger in both parks, and get a patch at each location. The rangers made it a really big deal, and the second ranger at Yellowstone asked it they would like to help with his ranger duty of taking down the flag. I thought this second ranger had such a cute sense of humor, and wanted to set him up with Madison - bad idea - I think he was about thirty.



The ribbon cutting ceremony christening "Gramberger Blvd" was the last thing we did before we gave mom hugs and headed for Logan. Mom and Jim cleared and paved a beautiful pathway through aspen trees and forest all the way down the hill. So much work, and very fun for us to use!


Headin down that dusty trail!















2 comments:

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Great pictures of a great vacation! I am enjoying the journey. I know what you mean about Yellowstone! It is an incredible place.

Jenny Moore said...

Yellowstone is such an amazing place, it never gets old. Mesa falls is one of our very favorite places, there is something so peaceful about looking at the falls.
Awesome trip!!