Blog Background

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Potluck







I We have a "potluck" of informtion to blog today - kind of like or ward Christmas party see above. Madion was Santa's helper this year - she just dressed up and did it on her own - nobody asked her! Livi had a piano recital on Sunday - she's on her fifth year and did a great job! Her teacher is standing in the back. We named the puppie "Ralphie" from the Christmas story - it was a long democratic process with lots of shouting, votes, and revotes, even lobbying, until we agreed on the name. Ralphie is doing better today than yesterday. I can see all those wise dog owners nodding wisely or smugly smiling. When i put Ralphie in his crate at night, he whimpered and howled all night long. I put on my slippers and bathrobe on and shuffled him out to his "spot" in the yard where we are training him to go wee. I felt like a tired old redneck with a flashlight - hunting for doggie doo. This would be a perfect spot for a cigarette hanging out the side of my mouth or nursing a hot cup of coffee if I smoked and drank coffee. I thought "I'm such an idiot... than Who out of my friends will take this puppy off my hands, then what the _ell am I doing?" Morning came and Livi and I dressed for Livi's trip to the Kennedy Center. I took Ralphie out one last time and put him in his crate - I didn't know it at the time, but he shredded my pantyhose in the balk of my calf where I didn't see the holes until I was going to the bathroom during the concert intermission! It was wonderful going with Livi's 5th grade to hear the National Symphony Orchestra do a special afternoon program for fifth graders. The music teacher had an extra ticket and asked if I would like to go too. A tender mercy for sure! I sat in a boxed seat holding Livi's hand while segments from Gershwin, Beethoven, Wagner, Joplin, Copeland, and finally John Williams playing "Harry Potter" send chills up and down my spine as they did a program on American music. We were mesmerized, and the concert hall full of fifth graders were a rapt and courteous audience. The Kennedy Center is so close, and so vast and beautiful. I took a program for the year, vowing to come back soon for a concert with the kids. They have a free Messiah sing in , and the "Nutcracker" ballet , also "My Fair Lady" and "Sleeping Beauty" coming soon! I talked to two mothers there who where dog experts, and I felt a lot better after talking with them. Last night thanks to their advice, I filled a hot water bottle and a blanket with our smell and put it in his crate. He curled up next to the water bottle and whining was a minimum! Today I am staying home to get him used to our schedule, and setting the timer ever thirty minutes to take him out. We are confining him to the family room, where he has weed a few times every day, so we are scrubbing a lot! It's worth it though when the kids come in the door calling "Ralphie!" and play with him until bedtime with big smiles on their faces.




4 comments:

Paul and Joni said...

Just don't let daddy kill ralphie. I can't believe you are alone with 5 kids and now a new puppy. We have comptemplated owning a dog several times, but I am not convinced yet while living in an apartment. I like potlucks

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

I used to have a dog who had a friend named Ralphie. He used to go out on the porch and bark: "RALPH, RALPH, RALPH!" But his friend never came. (har, har) That was a great blog for a laugh. I can picture you out in the yard in the middle of the night with a cig hanging out the side of your mouth and your bathrobe dragging in the dog poop as you scoop it up. What a picture. Do you think Rhett will really want to come home to that when he returns?

It looks like Becca had some reservations about Santa. Is she a true believer? Those were terrific concert opportunities. Nice blog. Keep us posted. Love, Dad

Maude said...

Funny, funny blog, Melecia. How well I remember those "midnight" strolls - - -around and around one area of the back yard until the "urge" came along - - -and the ruined panty hose. Fun!! Sounds like you're making slow steps of progress - - -and learning as you go. I'll be hoping the little wee spots get fewer and further between! I'm happy for you - - -but glad it's you. Does that make sense?

The concert sounds absolutely wonderful. I was going to call everyone last night, as Winston Marsallis was doing a concert from Lincoln Center. It was really great, especially a collaborative number with a tap dancer and a lady reading Angelou's poetry. Wow.

Madison is the cutest Santa's helper I'm every seen, and I've very proud of all the kids. Congratulations on a successful recital, Livi.

Love you
mom

Jenny Moore said...

I think Ralphie is a cute name for a dog. My personal vote was for Jack Sparrow or Mr. Darcy!!!
I'm so glad that you got to go the the musical performance...I'm sure it was wonderful!!
I loved your description of taking the dog out to do his business at night...you should write comedies that should be put on tv!!!
Glad you're all doing well...we think of you often!