Election day and parent teacher conference day all rolled into one! In our neck of the woods, that means you see a lot of well dressed retired people heading to the polls, then you follow them as they drive slowly down the road, follow them again to the grocery store, and stand in line behind them as we all wait for our prescriptions to be filled at the pharmacy. Maybe I'm not following them...maybe I AM one of them!
Rhett has safely arrived "in country", and his luggage finally made it a few days later. He is adjusting to the time change, his new home, and "inprocessing" to his new work. We saw him yesterday on the webcam. Our words took several seconds to get to him, so he was laughing at something we said about five seconds after we said it, and visa versa. It was great to see him! He and another guy were out in the courtyard talking to their families on their laptops. He found the times for the LDS church meetings, but only the Chaplain, Rhett, and another woman from Utah showed up to the meeting. The Chaplain is not LDS, but she explained that there had once been a group of LDS that met regularly, but they had lost momentum and had stopped. There are over 400 military enlisted members who are security personnel and can never leave the compound. Rhett has the Stake President's number, and is going to try and get something started again on the base. He is sure that out of those 400 military, there have to be some members of the church! So it's good to see that our go-getter Rhett already has a goal and a purpose where the church is concerned. He said that the church on the compound has a guitar and drums - no keyboard and no piano. He asked the chaplain if she could order one. I think I'll send him one from the distribution center. I'll E-mail you his new address and phone number.
His phone goes through a switchboard at an Air Force base in Ohio, and costs the same as a domestic call - that's exciting! Rhett is not hurting for food, but the commissary sells out of fresh produce very soon after it arrives, and their grocery shipments are sporadic. He'll be online next week as his temporary housemate is leaving next week, and is plugged into the internet.
We tied him a fleece blanket last night, and made him some cards. Livi suggested we sign the back, so we did! Week one has gone pretty well! Madison's team goes the State Championships this week, and I think we're going down to Virginia Beach Thursday and Friday to see them!
I tried a new exercize class this week - called "Zumba" - Latin American aerobics to latin music is a BLAST! Try it if you dare! You'll be shaking things you didn't know your ango-saxton heritage would allow you to shake!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Thanks so much for the update, Melecia. When I called Saturday, I could tell you were involved with the children, so didn't want to take your time. We've been thinking about you and praying for you all lots - - -and Rhett. Sounds like the communication opportunities are great. We may not always like all the techno-stuff, but at times like this, it is VERY much appreciated.
The trip to Virginia Beach sounds exciting and fun. I'm sure the team will do well; they're awesome. Go get 'em, Madison!
Love you all so very much.
Mom
P. S. I think that's fun about Rhett and the LDS meetings in Saudi. Hmmm - - -he wondered "why" about the Bishop calling. Maybe he got his answer right away! You go, Rhett!
Rhett's experience with communication, fresh produce, and the feeling of being "stranded" on base reminds me of my time in Antarctica. That isn't surprising considering that the military has a lot of responsibilities in running the base in the past. I guess the climates are pretty different, though. Good luck with state.
If I know Rhett he'll have something organized around the church. He may have to be a missionary for a while to build up a branch. It doesn't sound easy to live there, and I'm sure he'll appreciate all the support he can get from all of us in his family. Thanks for sending the contact information. Congratulations to Madison's team. Keep up your shaking and danc'in. Love, Dad
I'll have to check out that Latin Aerobics class. Maybe I can speak some espanol while I shake my you know what!!!
Good luck to Madison and her team! That is way exciting! Wish we were going to be there.
That delay thing when you are talking to Rhett is the pits. I hope it won't be like that everytime. Oh well, it is definitely better than nothing! I'm sure he will get the church going over there. That will be exciting for him and his Bishop skills will certainly come in handy.
Love you all!!
Susan
Thanks for the "Rhett" update. It's like he's marooned on some desert island.
Zumba huh! Making exercise a little more fun is always a good thing.
Sounds like you all are doing well!!
I think that all church meeting should incorporate drums and other such instruments...it would wake the bishopric up!! (no, Steve doesn't fall asleep on the stand)
Saudi Arabia will be a much better place with Rhett there...
Good luck to you all...we're thinking of you!!
Post a Comment