Blog Background

Monday, August 06, 2007

VBS and ramblings from a heat wave

I think we are getting the same heat wave that sat over the western U.S. for a week. Ever since Madison and Garrett were children, vacation bible school (VBS) has been a part of our summer. Nearby churches open their doors to all denominations for fun songs, crafts, mission projects, and all for free. The songs are so catchy - the girls sing them all year. My friend Michelle and I wrote "LDS" on the line where they asked for what church we attend, and they are just like "cool" (Lutherans are generally cool with that). I was just thinking we should all be "cool" with other religions too - just like those women at bible school. The chapel was bursting with shouting/singing of children singing "Lift me up with Jesus" - As I picked up Becca and Livi, a few people came up and told us a "Becca-ism" - The song leader was passing the microphone during the singing, saying "Who do you follow?" answer "I follow Jesus!" then: "Who do you follow?" "I follow the Lord", etc. It came to Becca, who was sitting near her friend Kelsey, the song leader held up the mike to Becca and said "Who do you follow" Becca said um... um...."I follow Kelsey!" To really get some free babysitting during the summer, a really smart mom would go from one VBS to another all summer long!
Madison made varsity field hockey last week! It's a big deal because they are state champions. Madison even got a black eye practicing for tryouts. She and Patrick were outside practicing field hockey with the kids while I talked out front with the Sister missionaries, and when I came inside, Patrick was holding an ice pack to Madison's eye, and holding Cecily in the other arm. He looked very flustered and was like "Mrs. Jefferies... help!" The hard part was that Madison's friend didn't make the team, and she left her stick in our van. I want to give it back to her, but want to do it with the stick wrapped in candy or flowers or something. It was really sad. One of the new sister missionaries is from SLC, and is very shy - has always worked with the handicapped and never been outside her home state. She just arrived from the MTC last week, and she has really been adjusting. Every time I see her, she is crying. The mission president for our mission made a new rule that the missionaries can only go to members homes if an investigator/non-member is there for dinner an they are able to teach. We can bring food to their home, but no more meals. On Saturday, they came to our home because they hadn't eaten anything all day, and had no members with investigators. We fed them of course, and the new missionary was starving. I felt really bad about this new rule, and thought,"what if this was my daughter?" I might write to the mission president and kindly tell him what I think of this new rule. I know we need to do better finding people to teach and strenthen our faith, but we also need to get to know the sisters before we turn them over to our friends. I guess I would cry too if I were that sister!
Poor Livi melted in the heat wave on Saturday - It was our Swimming finals, and I thought she was drinking enough, but she collapsed with heat exhaustion. It was really scarey. The officials closed the meet and cleared the pool deck for about an hour. Our team won by seven points!
Lots of sports going on! I realize that if you have high school kids, you basically can't go anywhere the month of August- because team sports start. It's all good though - I think we're going away for Labor Day, and then Rhett and I to Paris - yes!!!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a very newsy and well written blog, dear Melecia. Congratulations to Madison, her team, her doting boyfriend, and to Levvi and her team for outstanding performance!

I was a bit disturbed and angry with your mission president's rules. In our mission, the stake president and the mission president work collaboratively very well. As Ward mission leaders we meet with them as well on a ferquent basis. The missionaries, as we told Rhett when he was here, live in member's homes. Being fed in as many member's homes as possible is very important. One of our goals is to be certain the missionaries are well cared for, and that members get involved in missionary work. Our missionaries are booked every day of the week for dinner at a different member's home. I can't say enough what a blessing it is to our family to have them coming to our home on a regular basis. The good their example sets for our kids is wonderful. Our stake president would be mortified if he heard of missionaries being neglected. Their positive adjustment to the mission field is vitally important. Boy, did that one get my dander up! Love you, Dad

Paul and Joni said...

My first mission pres. was asked what he would have done differently after he returned home as a mission president, and to my surprise he said he would have been a lot less serious and not so hard on the missionaries and rules. Don't get me wrong, a line needs to be drawn with the rules, but sometimes as a missionary or mission president it is easy to forget that "numbers and rules" aren't really important, but relationships with people are. Its one thing to serve, and another thing to love serving.

There is such a cold aspect to missions when it comes to the people you meet and then never see again, hopefully that sister feels better soon.

Maude said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful, "catch-up" blog, Melecia. I love to hear about the small "everyday" things they kids do and say. They're wonderful.

Congratulations to Madison. Have a great year, and keep being that strong example to Patrick and to the hockey team. It's paying off, you know!

That mission policy does seem a little harsh. Is the mission president fairly new? Our ward also has a calendar where we sign up for days to feed the missionaries, and I think it's a mutual blessing, for them and for us.

It must be very hard from some missionaries at first, especially those who are quite shy. We have a brand new elder from Mexico right now. He speaks VERY little English, but has a wide, engaging smile, a loving, warm personality, is so determined to learn and grow. He inspires us all, especially the young men who are contemplating having to learn another language soon, when they get their calls.

Maybe Bishop Rhett could gently mention something about the policy to the Stake President, to see if it might be moderated a bit?

Anonymous said...

My mission president tried that same investigator/meal tactic for a month or two before in his words, "getting gently chewed out" by the area authority. In short, it was upsetting to members, cost the missions more (food money), made for hungry/resentful missionaries and began to disconnect the members and missionaries more than ever. Bad idea all around in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Madison on making the hockey team. Is it just me or is Madison getting pretty involved with this Patrick feller? Oh the wonderful things to look forward to with a teenage daughter!

That's cool that the kids are doing Bible School and everyone is cool that the kids are LDS. Growing up, I went to some activities with a couple born-again friends. There are some clear differences between Mormonism and other Christian faiths, but a lot more similarities than I would have thought. I kind of got a kick out of how much attention I'd get at those activities. I'm sure a lot of the people there hoped I'd convert.

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Congrats to your swimmmers and to Madison for making the Varsity Field Hockey team. That is awesome!! That is scary that Livvy got heat exhaustion. I remember they had to close the meet early that year we went because of the heat!!

Someone does need to say a word or two to the mission president. Feeding the missionaries is and has always been a great blessing for everyone. I personally love to feed them and have them in our home--what better exposure is there for future missionaries than to have the missionaries in our homes to share a meal with us.

As a mom of missionaries, I will always remember the words of Vicky Johnson when she told me that when we feed the missionaries in our ward, then someone will feed our missionary sons when they are on their missions. I have always believed that to be true and hold to that to this day!!

Labor day and Paris are not far off!! Hold on through the August madness. Eric starts tennis on Tuesday for Niwot.

Love you all,
Susan

Anonymous said...

Cute blog Melecia. I want to call you one of these days. Maybe once school starts back up and we don't have so many interuptions. Miss ya!

Paul and Joni said...

where are you Melecia?