blo
ggers from Pluto
We have had these great photo ops and the camera battery is so low, it didn't work. A couple of funny things I want to remember. Today Madion's friend Kana performed a Mozart concerto with the local youth symphony, and Madison turned pages for her. It was a big deal - full auditorium and very good symphony. Madison came on the stage carrying Kana's bench and set everything up. Some people behind us said "Wow, look at her! She's the pianiast!" Then Madison sat down and the people behind us said "Dang, she's just turning the pages. Kana is ony 17 and she played the concerto flawlessly. Amazing! She's going to Boston next year to study music. It was a two hour concert - very long! This morning we were working on a talk with Livi for primary, and it was about the Book of Mormon. Becca was sitting by listening while Livi and I were talking about
Nephites, Lamanites, and other Ites. Becca said "don't forget about termites" then she said "you say Term- ites" and asked us to repeat it over a few times so we could get it. Another great time - last week we went to Historic downtown - Rhett was on the roof wrestling with the lights, so I took the girls. We started out at the libary at a paws for reading program where the kids can pick a therapy dog and sit and read a book while the dog sleeps or whatever. Becca said she wanted to have a dog that needed a good belly rub, so they assigned her to an older black lab named "Annie". Olivia got the funniest hyper bulldog named something or other. We're doing to do this every month - I've never seen the girls so excited about reading. We then walked down the main street. The Christmas parade was that same evening, so people were setting up. It was funny because all these church groups were giving out candy canes and spiritual messages, and handing out hot chocolate which burned all our tongues. Then, the most authentic Santa and his Elf came strolling down the street, followed by children and their parents following them to a bed and breakfast where Santa would talk with the children. Again - my camera out of batteries. This Santa looked like a folk singer - real gray beard - a cross between Jim Henson and Jimmy Buffett. His elf walked with a knarled wooden walking stick - he looked right out of Hobbitville. Of course we turned and followed the skipping, running, and magical line into the B&B. Becca and Livi sat on his lap, and he entranced them, taking the time to talk with each one for a few minutes. I couldn't believe how non commercialized Livi and Becca were. Livi said she wanted "crafts", and Becca said "science". Santa said, "well, science is a broad field, what kind of science". Becca was speechless, then just nodded when he said "You want to experiment with things?" Then santa leaned over to the elf and said "write that down", which the elf did with his big feathered pen. It was one of those moments that you want to remember for all time, that you just run into this kind of Christmas magic without even looking fo it! The finale was going to the old fashioned candy store and looking at the hundreds of candies in the glass jars - I think I'm going to buy a big sack and put it in all of our stockings at Christmas after Santa is finished. So that's about it. I've found another precious yard ornament to take a picture of - how bout Santa's sleigh being pulled by eight tiny pink flamingos. I'll recharge this silly camera and hopefully we'll have some pics. Talk with y'all soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
What a fun outing to old Fredericksburg!! I'm so glad that you go and do fun things like that. It's great to be able to picture it since we've been there.
That concert must have been something. How cool for Madison to be able to help out her friend like that. I can't even imagine how many hours a day that girl has to put in to her piano practicing. That is really amazing.
Are the reading dogs at your library? That's a pretty cool thing to do too.
All ready for Christmas? I'm glad that Santa has the "crafts" and "science" covered so you don't have to worry about those items.
Happy Holidays!!
Love,
Susan
I loved the old town Fredericksburg when we visited. I think it makes the whole town so cool. What a fun afternoon/evening, well at least for you and the girls. I don't know how much fun Rhett was having. Right before Glen left to put our lights up he said, "I'm going out to lose my religion." Dang lights make him lose his temper. OH what fun! Good to hear from you and your neat experiences!
good stories, Your kids are pretty funny. Gotta love the things they say at Becca's age, I can see you trying not to laugh when she said "science"...probably didn't think about what she was going to say ahead of time.
Sounds like a totally wonderful weekend. Sorry Rhett couldn't join you, but I'm sure he was having a terrific time! (Love Glen's comment about the joys of stringing the lights!) :)
Santa sounds perfect - - -the best Santa is one who listens and really enjoys what he does. I'm sure Becca and Livi made his day!
We're proud of Madison for ALL her accomplishments and for just being a wonderful young lady. Can't wait to see all those sweet kids. Oh, and Becca's "Term-ites" was priceless. Would you define that, please. My random mind went many possible directions.
The dog at the library idea is wonderful - - -made me homesick for old Jake. Labs are the greatest for belly scratches.
Thanks, Melecia, for the report. I smiled lots and lived with with you vicariously.
FMMPAPA Speaks... What a wonderful Chrismas story! Move over Jimmy Stewart..."It's a Wonderful Life." There's nothing quite like Christmas traditions. Putting up lights is misery, but enjoying exposure to what darling children do makes it all worth while. Frederick Town is a perfect Christmas place, and your children are absolutely priceless in what they say and do.
Have a wonderful Christmas!
Love,
Dad
That's impressive to hear about the amount of effort your city puts into making a special holiday season. I love things that give communities strong a strong sense of identity, I miss bozeman for that but I guess there will be things to find or refind in Logan. I'm excited to see you guys.
Sounds so charming...I want to go to Virginia!!
We're looking forward to seeing you all soon...the girls are counting down!!
Post a Comment