Blog Background

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Garrett & doctors

bloggers from Pluto
Ever since Garrett had tubes put in his ears and spent a few ER trips drinking charcoal powder after getting into poison, he has had an aversion to doctors.
First there was Dr. Ta from Vietnam who diagnosed him with cat scratch fever, and then dug in his ears saying "Just wooking, juuuust wooking" while Garrett
cried. Then the woman who gave him the first full exam before scout camp. He was furious at me for not informing him before hand what was going to happen during the exam. Today we went to the doctor because Garrett had a sinus infection. With the military system, you get what you get, and you don't throw a fit, and sometimes you wonder where these doctors are coming from. Anyway, back to my story, Garrett was upset about having to go to a doctor, and I was reassuring him from every angle that I could - what was going to happen (look in ears, nose, and throat) that the doctor would probably be cool, everything would be okay. Garrett and I even played a game in the exam room asking each other questions like "What's your favorite car....etc". The doctor walked in and I believe it was a doctor we had gone to before, but "he" was now a "she", and had undergone a sex change operation. She was 6'2, tall and thin, her own long blonde hair, nails done, makeup on, with very manly face, hands, and voice, but also soft and gentle and feminine in mannerism. She was very kind and I was trying so hard to concentrate on what she was saying, but I couldn't help studying her face and thinking about what she must have gone through to come to this point in her life. Garrett had a wide eyed stare and was very uncomfortable. He kept looking at me like "what is this? what do I do? " I could see his mind flashing back to Dr. Ta and all the other line of military doctors we had gone through. All the active duty marine doctors are deployed right now, so the miltary is going with civilian doctors. Where they are getting them from, I have no idea! Of all the things I tried to reassure Garrett about, this was not on the list. To her credit, she did a great job diagnosing the problem and getting us to the pharmacy. At least this time we didn't get the guy who looked at Garrett's chest and recommended plastic surgery to make his chest area smaller. It's hormones right now sir- even I know that! Any way, I have Garrett's permission to write this, and after today, I think Garrett has had some tough breaks with doctors!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melecia you do such a great job writing. I loved that story. I seriously have tears in my eyes from laughing.
SCARY.....I can just picture the looks on both of your faces. Very inquisitive I am sure.
Tell Garrett we hope he gets better before we see him. That isn't any fun to have especially with flying!

Paul and Joni said...

that is a pretty good story, I am still laughing about it and feel bad for Garrett. It is so crazy how luck is like that sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. You painted a super word picture - - -and even threw in a little poetry! (I know you're not into rhymes, but you did it - - -"You git what you git, and you don't throw a fit!) Pretty funny! Poor Garrett. I'm on sinus meds, too, so maybe we can commiserate.

Anonymous said...

I’m laughing my guts out picturing the look on Melecia and Garrett’s face as Dr. Transition entered the room. What a hilarious story. Unfortunately that does not help to reassure anyone about doctors.

Anonymous said...

I’m laughing my guts out picturing the look on Melecia and Garrett’s face as Dr. Transition entered the room. What a hilarious story. Unfortunately that does not help to reassure anyone about doctors.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Garrett is bigger than Rhett now. Maybe we can set up an arm wrestling match this Christmas.