Continued... On Christmas Eve the kids and I went to Target. At first I was hiding presents under my coat and trying to divert the kids attention other places, but they all hung on the cart like it was a life raft, so I finally said "Kids, we're doing things differently this year. Put a few things that you want in the cart and we'll wrap them up. This was a hit and everyone smiled as Madison and Garrett disappeared into the electronics department, and Livi/Becca hit the toys. Santa was able to deliver a few things on the sly. Dad & Susan came to take care of our family and to make things easier for the holiday. Their help and spirits were invaluable!!!
Other fun Christmas memories! All the singing arond the piano, being the most popular kid with the teachers at school because mom made gingerbread houses that were incredible! The year mom made puppets - hundreds of them, and everything she made and did to make Christmas so incredible. I didn't realize how much she accomplished every Christmas until I tried to do some as a mom myself! Another fun Christmas - having a missionary brother Glen, and his companion over for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - totally cool! And the great time in Ashton when we brought the flu with us on the plane, and all the throwing up in the snow because the bathroom was full, followed by getting better and making a huge snow fort - skiing, snowboarding, etc. Lots of great memories!
This year we picked two names off the angel tree - one boy needed boxers, another needed mittens, scarf, and hat - simple things. I thought - what a totally bummer as a seven year old opening a box of boxers, so I added a few things an eight year old might like. It's great to give a little, even though we're a little tight this year because I forgot to pay two or three tithings during the year - yikes!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
There comes a time in our lives when memories are the most important things we keep. I hope you are keeping your blog entries along with your journal. One of the great joys of my life was writing my personal history and remembering some of those key stories that make vivid family memories. Thanks again for sharing.
Love, Dad
Wonderful memories, Melecia. Thanks for sharing. I'm making my third gingerbread house tonight! :)
Love you lots
Mom
I love when my little list on my blog tells me you have updated yours!
My heart hurts about the boxers story. We had a similar thing here since the Embassy buys gifts for the children at an orphanage. The list of things that the 2 boys we got wanted broke my heart. It was an emotional experience for me and a shock to my boys. I'm glad you threw some extra stuff in, I did the same thing and still felt like I didn't do enough.
Thanks for sharing, you have always been a very giving and caring person even when times are tough for your family. Thanks for being a great example to me over the years, I only have to look as far as my family for examples on how to figure out the type of life I want to live.
We will be driving through Virginia on our 30 hour trek from Texas to Connecticut in Janaury. We would love to stop by and see you if you are all around, let us know, or I'll call during Christmas sometime. Love you guys
Paul
Post a Comment