Just when you're tired, you feel like you are being taken over by teenagers, and you are ready to cry, the calvary is here! Mom's visit was totally awesome - just having her in the home and relating to the kids was heaven, we all felt calmer. Mom - THANK YOU! I relearned 10 things about my mom last week that were pretty awesome.
1.) Everyone listens to her - her presence commands respect. Even the dog listened to her, and stopped biting when she gave her command. All she has to do is look at you with those big eyes (which are magnified to even larger with reading glasses on) and snap to attention.
2.) She likes to have fun - even when she thinks nobody is watching. At 6 a.m. I was in the backyard with Ralphie and I could see mom standing by the kitchen table taking out the newspaper from it's plastic wrap. She blew it up like a balloon and then popped it - giving a satistied little smirk as it popped and wagging her head from side to side. Again - nobody was there... she likes to have fun!
3. I drink a lot of diet coke and lime diet coke when she's around - it's good stuff. When she leaves, I go off the caffeine binge again. We also eat more salads, yougert, and grapenuts (right out of the box) when she's around.
4. Big stores are not her thing - She got a glazed look when we went into Toys R Us to get a party gift for Becca. I led her to the science aisle, where she perked up and discovered that
there was something in the store she would like to buy for Becca - a crystal growing science experiement and gem mining game. Always the teacher.
5. She makes friends with everyone - people at the YMCA, antique stores, food servers, actors
and actresses, nursery leaders, everyone knows who she is, where she lives, and they have an
open invitation to stay at her home when they go to Washington or Idaho.
6. Mom is handy to have around at tea houses - especially with your two year old. Mom followed Cecily around like a hawk while I helped with the party, and kept $200 worth of
porcelin from being smashed to smithereens.
7. Mom knows exactly how to handle kids and teenagers. Madison's plan was to hide from Gramster because she thought mom would give her lots of long talks and lectures about
teenage rebellion and bad boyfriends, but mom only sat with her and talked about movies and American Idol. The talk came at the end of the trip, and by that time Madison was totally cool with having grandma give her a little advice.
8. Mom has a new nickname from Cecily "Baba" - Cecily wouldn't let her out of her sight the entire time. I think Mom wanted to run away sometimes, but Cecily tracked her down. Whether she is Boise Bama, Gramster, Maude, Katie, or whatever, she is her nickname to that
child, and they love her for it!
9. Mom is restless - pacing the floor when she doesn't have something to do. She then apologizes for being restless and goes and runs five miles. She is also in shape enough to go to a spinning class and not break a sweat while her "young" 40 year old daughter is huffing like the big bad wolf.
10. She is my rescuer, my best girlfriend, my sense of calm, peace, and security. My shot in the arm - my boost of confidance when I need it the most!
I love you mom! Madison took the camera (forgot to ask) to Disney World and it is at the bottom of a rollercoaster somewhere, so while we save up for a new camera, our blog will be a little more boring than usual.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Nice blog Melecia. Mom is definitely great to have around. Our kids can't get enough of Gramster either. It's nice that they can have a lot of fun, but also respect and listen to her. Nice combo.
You really take after Mom in a lot of ways. I think it's amazing all the things you do, how much you love your kids and what a good solid parent you are. You're a great mom! - Glen
That was a wonderful tribute, Melecia. How fortunate all of you are to have multi-named mom and grandma to be there for you. I remember walking into her third grade class room in SLC and you could have heard a pin drop. Her big eyes were focused on a boy who dared to act out and he shriveled up like a dead weed. I concur with Glen you are a lot like her, and you express yourself so well. I love you so much. Dad
You summed it up pretty well, Melecia. It sounds like you both enjoyed a great trip.
Wow, thank you, Melecia! You made me cry, and I printed a copy for my (in)famous journal, hoping we can always, always have that close mother-daughter, best friends relationship we've enjoyed for so long. I had such fun "team sewing" with you, going antiquing, etc. I think you served me, even though I came to help you! I should have done more! Was planning to help with yard work, but was surprised it was still so cold back there.
I love you so very much - - and in awe of YOU and all you do for your family and for others! Always serving someone else, even though you have a tremendous load on your own shoulders. You're pretty amazing youself, daughter!
Love you always and forever,
Mom
Oops - - p.s. Thanks to all for the birthday present of the play,"Thoroughly Modern Millie." It was fun and very well done. And the tea party was a blast - - -although neither you or I relaxed enough to eat or drink anything! You're quite a girl - - always have something going!
Love,
Mom/Gram/Baba/Maude - - -Whatever! :)
Well Melecia if words could sum up who/what mom is you did a great job!!
She is a joy to be around and to talk to...she is fun and wise and we all love her very much!
Very nice! I am happy for you that you had the chance to have your mom there. Nothing compares to a mother daughter relationship, and it's great to see that distance hasn't made things harder for you to carry on you close relationship.
We can't wait to see Madison soon!
Love ya.
Post a Comment